cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

PDM - Windchill

nrollins
1-Newbie

PDM - Windchill

Hi folks,

A client of mine is using Windchill for PDM. It is hosted / administered by
their much larger "mother-ship" corporate IT department. Mother-ship uses
the app for most of what it can do, but the smaller client is only in need
of a PDM system and they are getting burned by a lack of / lag in support
when things go wrong. And, with Windchill, sometimes things go wrong.

So, they are looking for a "lower-end" PDM system that will work across
multiple CAD formats and also control other docs / data. They plan to
administer it themselves.

Anyone have a great experience they'd like to share? Anything to stay away
from?

Thanks!

-Nate

6 REPLIES 6
jnelson
13-Aquamarine
(To:nrollins)

The PTC/USER Technical Committee has formed a Focus Group specifically dealing with Windchill Data Management for the Small/Medium size Businesses (SMB), and in some cases satellite locations for large customers as well (which sounds like your situation).
We have been meeting for nearly a year now, helping PTC understand the need for a product that is easy/simple to install, manage, and use w/out all the "headache" and overhead (resources) that a full blown Windchill product comes with.

At the PlanetPTC conference this past June it was announced that PTC is working on a Windchill solution, focused on the SMB customers, with 25 or less CAD users, and it was anticipated that this would be available to customers at or around the beginning of 2013.

As of now, the Technical Committee Focus Group is still in constant contact, providing input and/or direction, and I hope to be able to announce some new developments to the entire community before the end of Summer (2012).
If you have any questions, or would like to provide some input (such as a functionality wish list/requirements) please feel to contact me at this email address.

Joel Nelson
PTC/USER Sheetmetal Technical Committee Chair & SMB Focus Group Lead

jnoble
4-Participant

Joel, are there any updates on the Windchill Data Management for Small/Medium size Businesses? I'm very interested in this and was wondering where it stood.

Thanks for any update you can provide!

Josh Noble
Product Development Engineer
Bionix Development Corporation

jnelson
13-Aquamarine

Josh
Sorry for the delayed response I have been traveling the past few days and just returned.

If you are looking for an update other than the one I provided on 12-08-02, then no, not at this time. The update I provided then is copied below.

I hope to have more (maybe more detailed) information to provide by the end of summer.
If there is something specific you would like to know, or have any input you would like to provide please let me know.

The PTC/USER Technical Committee has formed a Focus Group specifically dealing with Windchill Data Management for the Small/Medium size Businesses (SMB), and in some cases satellite locations for large customers as well (which sounds like your situation).
We have been meeting for nearly a year now, helping PTC understand the need for a product that is easy/simple to install, manage, and use w/out all the "headache" and overhead (resources) that a full blown Windchill product comes with.

At the PlanetPTC conference this past June it was announced that PTC is working on a Windchill solution, focused on the SMB customers, with 25 or less CAD users, and it was anticipated that this would be available to customers at or around the beginning of 2013.

As of now, the Technical Committee Focus Group is still in constant contact, providing input and/or direction, and I hope to be able to announce some new developments to the entire community before the end of Summer (2012).
If you have any questions, or would like to provide some input (such as a functionality wish list/requirements) please feel to contact me at this email address.

Joel Nelson
PTC/USER Sheetmetal Technical Committee Chair & SMB Focus Group Lead

Any updates on the status of this project ?

Joel,

Any updates?

We are pondering dropping our Windchill andthis may be something we would be interested in.

Thanks.

Wow how did I miss this one. I really hope they come up with something that
I can just double click and leave the machine on. All I really care to
manage is how much capacity the hard drive has and thats it. The rest
should be me making parts/assemblies/drawings.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags