cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Parameter Drop Down

cbierman
1-Newbie

Parameter Drop Down

Howdy. The question has been asked before, but the solution offered isn't quite what I'm looking for and thought you all might have some constructive input.

I want the ability to have a drop-down list of variables for a given parameter. For example, the parameter is MATERIAL and I'd like the drop down list in the model tree to contain ALUMINUM, STEEL, ABS, etc. The answer that is out there is use the Restricted Parameter List, which works almost exactly how I want except it is a RESTRICTED list.

In other words, I want the convenience of having a drop down list but I want my users to be able to use a value that's not in the list. Also, I don't want to have to modify my restricted parameter file every time someone wants to use a new material.

Does that even make sense? Any ideas on how to do this?

Many thanks,

-Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ngoutis
6-Contributor
(To:cbierman)

Chris,

If your primary reason for needing this revolves around material assignments, here are a few thoughts that may help solve your problem.

Are you familiar with the system parameter "PTC_MATERIAL_NAME"? The first time a material file is added to a model, Creo automatically adds this parameter to your list of model parameters. As more material files are added to your model, this parameter automatically becomes a drop-down list which options consist of whatever materials are in your model. Capture2.JPGCapture3.JPG

What our organization has done is developed a large library of material files which users can select from. They are also free to create new materials as needed.

Alternatively, material files can be added to a Start Part model, so that referencing a library might not be needed most of the time.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Jose_Costa
6-Contributor

Yes, that makes sense, but I think it´s not possible without programming.

The way I see to do this is create a small program in JLink that reads and shows the value of the parameter, then, if you press the dropdown menu, it reads from a external file (a .csv for example) other editable options for the value.

Jose

Thanks for the reply, Jose. I'm not sure I have that in me though. I'll just file this one in the wishful-thinking basket for the moment.

mbonka
15-Moonstone

Just idea, that could help you.

Search ProE Help for: "Table-restricted Value Parameter"

Table-Restricted.jpg

Generall way that l´m using thise function:

IF material == steel

than

material_german ==stahl

endif

Hope it can help you...

ngoutis
6-Contributor

Chris,

If your primary reason for needing this revolves around material assignments, here are a few thoughts that may help solve your problem.

Are you familiar with the system parameter "PTC_MATERIAL_NAME"? The first time a material file is added to a model, Creo automatically adds this parameter to your list of model parameters. As more material files are added to your model, this parameter automatically becomes a drop-down list which options consist of whatever materials are in your model. Capture2.JPGCapture3.JPG

What our organization has done is developed a large library of material files which users can select from. They are also free to create new materials as needed.

Alternatively, material files can be added to a Start Part model, so that referencing a library might not be needed most of the time.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Thanks, Nick. This is a good piece of information. I'm going to explore this option further and I appreciate your help.

Can we make this parametric list relation driven. For eg. I create a parameter MATERIAL, 

IF MATERIAL == "STL"

PTC_MATERIAL_NAME = GENERIC_STEEL

ENDIF

something like this ?

Top Tags