cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Possible to use sketch area as a sketch constraint?

ptc-4332882
1-Newbie

Possible to use sketch area as a sketch constraint?

I am attempting to sketch a complex shape. I know what I want the sketch area to be so I want to use it as a constraint so I don't have to figure out one of the other dimensions. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

-Alex

4 REPLIES 4

Perimeter dimension, maybe. But, it will not give you an area, only the perimeter. If it's a simple shape, you can calculate it and use a variable section sweep with an area graph to control it.

The question is pretty vague.

I haven't had a chance to try that yet but you can solve iterative problem like this one with Feasibility/Optimization feature.

Assuming your sketch is closed you can use Fill feature to get a planar surface. Save the surface area as a feature and then optimize the size of that area according to variables you choose inside your sketch.

Thanks for the responses, I'll add more info.

These shapes are pump volute cross sections; they are compound curves. I get the areas and shape from my CFD program but I need to change the shape to better fit our application.

The sketches are internal sketches of a swept blend (I've been thinking about using external sketches but I'm not yet sure if this would gain me anything).

The easiest solution so far has been to draw my shape and then go to the analysis tab and use the area measurement tool to get the area of the sketch then tweak the dimensions to get the area I need (usually requires me to go back and forth multiple times). I was hoping there would be a easier way to kind of automate the process, I imagine using a area constraint so it would take the guess work out of tweaking the dimensions to get the areas I want.

There is. Look up for Feasibility and Optimization studies in Creo/ProE help.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags