cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Prescribed temperate and heat load

fphelps
1-Newbie

Prescribed temperate and heat load

I have a feeling this a bad question, but can someone please explain to me the difference in prescribed temperature and a heat load? Other than the units involved. It seems to me they are both applying heat in one unit or another to a object. Why not just have both of them under the same button, with the ability to change the units. Thanks for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Temperature is a constraint. No matter how much energy required, the model will have that temperature.

Heat load is (as the name says) a load. It is a certain amount of energy you add to the model. The resulting temperature due to the added energy may vary.

If you are familiar with electronics: temperature is like a voltage, heat load is like the current.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Temperature is a constraint. No matter how much energy required, the model will have that temperature.

Heat load is (as the name says) a load. It is a certain amount of energy you add to the model. The resulting temperature due to the added energy may vary.

If you are familiar with electronics: temperature is like a voltage, heat load is like the current.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Patrick.

Prescribed temp is what is sounds like: keep temp fixed at X degrees. Typically something that is cooled by water at a given temp. A heat load has the unit Watt's i.e. a measure of the heating power. On a surface with a heat load, the temperature will be a result. On a surface with a prescribed temp, the power (positive or negative(cooling) will be a result. Typically electrical circuits give a well defined constant power.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags