cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Prevention of creation of trail files.

ptc-1181807
1-Newbie

Prevention of creation of trail files.

Honestly, who uses the damn things? Anyways, our trail file directory is a networked folder, so every time you do anything (even using the 3D Connection navigator) the system constantly tries to write to the network, slowing everything down. The work-around one of our users came up with is changing the directory to a local (C:\) drive. Well, in almost 12 years on Pro/E I've never seen the need for the trail file, and it's been known since I started using it that if you re-size your window while working your file is pretty much worthless anyways. Why do we need it when if you save often enough your frames do a better job anyways? So, is there a ways to turn off the creation of the trail files so it's not even trying to write? Thanks....
3 REPLIES 3

Andrew, any ideas? Anyone? I'm going to have the trail file written locally, to speed things up, but that's just a work-around. There HAS to be a way to turn this off....

Frank, I don't think I'm going to get a warm beer for this one.... As far as I'm aware there are no settings to prevent trail files from being created - unless you switch to an education version of Pro/ENGINEER ~ When replaying trail files, to prevent exit, set the following environment variable and restart Pro/ENGINEER: continue_from_oos true I use trail files to help with start up settings, load models into session for demos etc. Occasionally they've helped to recover from a crash (but thay don't happen very often).. Technical Support use them to replay reproducable crashes. BUT...... Do not have trail files written to a network folder - always to the local workstation. AND... Good luck finfing a job away from the US - if you find any great opportunities in the Maldives or similar please let me know and I'll join you there - Britain isn't so Great at the moment... Cheers Andy

Bummer! Thanks Andrew, you still da MAN! I think I might understand why on that VSS section relation problem I was having that the "known" dim worked and the "ref" dim didn't: is it because a ref dim is calculated in the section only at the START of the trajectory (why the sketch itself seemed to work) and not at every point along the origin trajectory as a known dim is? Moot point, I know, but that's my theory! I will, for sure. I owe you a couple cold ones, er, warm ones already! Never thought I'd say this as a (formerly?) very patriotic American, but I'm getting very tired of some things here on a personal vs. governmental level. Hell, at this point, I'm almost tempted to throw my career away as long as I can get out.....
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags