cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Pro/E performance with 2 CPU, XPpro 64

KentAgent
1-Newbie

Pro/E performance with 2 CPU, XPpro 64

Hi,

Does anyone know if Pro/E works and benefits of mulitple CPUs?

Reason for asking is that we can choose between 2 setups.

First model:

Lenovo D20, 2 x Intel Xeon E5530 2.4 GHz, 32 GB DDR3 SDRAM, 2 x 300 GB SAS 15000 rpm, Nvidia FX1800 64-core 768 MB, Windows XP 64-bit

Second model:

Lenovo D20 1x Intel Xeno E5502 1.86 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM, 1 x 300 GB SAS 15000 rpm, Nvidia FX1800 64-core 768 MB, Windows XP 64-bit

As first model is double the price of the second one I would like to know if Pro/E really work and benefits dual CPU.

Today we have Pro/W wf3 M170 but we look at upgrade to wf5 soon.

Regards

Lars

1 REPLY 1

Hello,

Pro/E doesn't use two cores. Although there's an option 'cpus_to_use' Pro/E handles only one core.

Pro/Mechanica uses two (or more?). But you'll have an advantage by using two cores because your OS will use the second one.

Please have a look at the PTC homepage where you'll find the requirements / recommendations for running Pro/E. I don't think that XP 64-bit is a wise choice. Win7 Pro x64 would be better.

As long as you don't handle large assemblies you don't need 32 GB RAM.

I suggest that you try to get a workstation that is recommended by PTC. It will help if you need support because of hardware issues.

But if it's not possible to choose another hardware maybe you can test Pro/E on both systems.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags