cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

QR Model Problems

ptc-3927116
1-Newbie

QR Model Problems

Hello everyone, newbie here:

I am trying to create a 3-dimensional QR code model and print it out on a 3D printer/makerbot. I have created a model on creo parametric but when generating the .stl file, all the extrusions and features are lost. It just becomes a flat rectangular prism. Can anyone give me advice here?

Also when I create extrusions, they are hollow and not filled. I would like the QR extrusions to be solid filled but I can't do this. Have attached my model.

Appreciate the help!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.

13 REPLIES 13

Some screenshots of the issue

Your extruded QR is a surface. You cannot export to STL using surfaces. Only your block is being exported.

Understood...how would I be able to convert it to a surface?

Whenever I tried modelling it, it always came out as a surface.

You need closed-boundary sketches. No crossing lines and no spare curves.

Is it possible to make a closed boundary sketch with a QR code - i did not cross lines and there are no curves in that sketch.

As I understand it, it is closed boundary because all the shapes that were used in the sketch are closed off.

Where does the QR geometry come from?

If it's a datum curve, then to use it to make a solid protrusion it can't be self intersecting and I think it can't share corners.

Each vertex in a typical solid sketch must have two and only two segments attached to it. The exception is for thin extrusions.

However, you can extrude curves that share corners as a surface, with capped ends, and then select Solidify.

I imported an image of a QR code onto Creo and mapped it onto the model. Then I attempted to resketch the entire QR code (4 subsketches for each quadrant) and extrude it. I attached a screenshot of it.

I tried extruding as a capped surface but it would not allow me to do so.

That is a lot of work, Sadaf. You will have to go back and close many of the intersections and probably need a lot more sketches. you know you have a closed sketch when it is highlighted with a color for the enclosed region.

Try copying the sketch many times and make each solid path a sketch and make sure it is closed. This should get you what you are after.

Are Q Codes near your cell phone as dangerous as magnets near your hard drive ?

Are there any other solutions to this?

Forgetting the fact that I'd have to redo it, but most of the QR code shares corners and such. By doing this, I'd being losing the fidelity and inherent properties of the QR code.

Would appreciate some advice because my desired end result is a 3D printed physical QR code model.

OK - try smaller test and work up.

There is no reason Pro.E won't do it, but it requires making a sketch that can be capped.

1) Surface extrusion, which allows corner sharing. Yes, I tried it and yes, it worked.

2) lines only touch at end points

3) no lines cross each other.

4) all line end points join other line endpoints - no loose ends

Start small and work up. One square, then two sharing a corner, then three.

I wonder how tolerant QR codes are. Could one use circles instead of squares. Just wondering out loud.

I also noticed there is a distinct lack of QR code solid model direct generation, though most of the time they are used on parts for serial numbering and are applied as a late manufacturing step using either a sticker or using a laser engraver.

To all who helped I sincerely appreciate it:

I recreated the model by following your directions and created solid extrusions. Was able to successfully generate the STL file. It took a while and I'm not sure if the fidelity of the code was retained but I will use it as a proof of a concept.

Congrats!

If I counted right that's 1127 pixels worth. Am I right?

The good news about the code is that it is designed to be very fault tolerant.

Top Tags