cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Remove Inconsistencies

Not applicable

Remove Inconsistencies

<ul><li>Sometimes it is not clear where the user input goes to. Although an input field is yellow, the typed in value does not appear until the ENTER key</li><li>Some commands (e.g. 2D) don't have a way to input values at all although the prompt says to input a value</li><li>UI flow different in similar or comparable commands</li><li>Missing user guidance (yellow input fields, prompting)</li></ul><p><br />Please report concrete examples of where you see inconsistencies.</p><p></p>
11 REPLIES 11
Not applicable
(To:)

Users do not understand &quot;Auto Accept on lost focus.&quot; When they see a form-like dialog in Windows, they expect they can input and go. On the other hand, settings dialogs commit to change instantly, without any &quot;apply&quot; or &quot;ok.&quot; The dialog expects more interaction from the user while the settings menu does not give the user a way to op-out.<br /><br />Create 2D geometry commands require numeric input in the User Input Line. This makes input of number+unit not possible, unlike a dialog. Maybe the key is a new User Input Line that changes it's input type based on the variable type of the active field. This means the user can type in <em><font color=""#0033cc"">.25 in</font></em> when working in mm, or <font color=""#0033cc""><em>p1 p2</em></font> instead of having to type &quot;/p1, /p2.&quot;
ptc-1882157
1-Newbie

Users are often frustrated due to the lack of consistency between the different modules. I know that this has been an issue for some time but I hear it quite often. This is very apparent when using cabling and IDF modules in regard to moving objects. Sometimes the user can input from the menu during translations but with others this is not possile. I guess we just need consistency.

In our tests with AutoCAD users who never used CoCreate before, we found most don't understand the ""Click OK"" command. That is, they often believe they have finished a command, and then ""lose"" their work mysteriously. While logic exists behind when you click okay and when you don't, it often just makes the software seem difficult and tempermental to the new user.

In our Quickstart Projects, we avoided, wherever possible, commands that required clicking a label to activate a field. New users would never figure this out. To activate a field, most people expect to simply click in it.
Not applicable
(To:ptc-1900455)

Cat, what do you mean with ""commands that required clicking a label to activate a field""? Can you name examples? What issues exactly experienced these users?
ptc-1900455
1-Newbie

Like I said elsewhere, I don't have Modeling available today. But in my notes from when we were testing, I recall that there were a number of fields in the Paste command that could only be activated by clicking on what looked like a text label ... not a button. When we clicked on the text, it turned into a button. Then the field became active. That's very unintuitive for users coming from a Windows background. You should be able to just click in the field to activate it: Paste [_____:0000000000] (users activate the above by clicking between the brackets, not clicking on the word Paste.) Make sense?

Back to the click OK issue. In our tests, almost everybody failed to click okay after an extrude the first few times. You'll notice the Quickstarts say everywhere ""Don't forget to click OK" We could avoid all this confusion with a simple error dialog. Whenever someone has done some work and then tries to start a new command, we pop up: "Do you want to commit to your current work?"" oYes oNo oDon't ask me again. That would go a very long way in helping new users succeed right from the start. They figure it out, eventually. But the less they fail, the farther we can take them in the shortest amount of time!

If you have a block with one cylindrical hole and a fillet on one edge there are some inconsistencies within using modeling. 1. select the fillet, RMB, change radius, enter the new radius, ok -> radius was changed 2. select the hole, RMB, change radius, enter the new radius, ok -> nothing happens 3. If the fillet has a radius of 10, click on an neighbour edge, create a new fillet with 10 -> error Other inconsistent usage: You have an assembly with 5 parts. Copy part - select three parts - new position - ok Share part - select three parts -> not possible

When switching sheets in Annotation, people tend to click in the area of the sheet, not directly on the geometry of the sheet. Maybe this is inconsistent with other software programs. When switching sheets in Annotation Drawing Browser, you must click on the symbol and not on the text. What makes the symbol for the sheet special over the text to switch sheets?

I made the same experience like Wolfgang summarizes. During training the customer is not sure if he understands the concept to use the product. Why can’t he use define a”cross section” for a list of parts? And it’s better to define the kind of line type in the command, otherwise you use “overdraw” as next command and get the results as well with construction lines. For traditional user it’s no problem to use the correct order for the definition of geometries. But for new user it would be helpful to have more alternatives to input the information. I think a UI or feedback would be helpful as well. For example the parallel line: 1) Click line to parallel 2) position for offset can’t define with a value. The new concept to have all new tools (analyze, configuration, part properties, views…) in the browser is very helpful. During the training knows where to find the information and the function.

If you select one face from part1 and one face from part2 you can: move, offset, change radius, change blendradius, taper, ... But you cannot align!
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags