cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Rhino vs. ProE

al204
1-Newbie

Rhino vs. ProE

Hello folks,

does anyone have experience using a software called Rhino 3D ?

what are the differences between proe (wf. 3 or 4) vs Rhino 3D? Is there an advantage in using both?

I´m a big proe fan, but I have been asked to make a fair comparison.

thanks, regards

Al.

3 REPLIES 3
cdspk
1-Newbie
(To:al204)

ProE - features and history, parts and assembliesparametric modeller

Rhino - freeform modeller no features or history or assemblies and not a parametric modeller

Not comparable products but very complementary, its sometimes good to jump into Rhino for a 'quick and dirty' mockup or a more complex freeform surface form - although the popularity and development of ISDX has stalled that a bit in my camp.

Be prepared for some heart ache on the learning curve if your a big ProE user. If you start with Rhino it has a shallower learning curve but moving to it can be problematic at it has a very different philosophy in the building - imagine not being able to easilytweak feature number 2 of 100 and the effect neatly propagating through the model tree? setting geometric conditions does not form a relationship - the condition will not follow changes to surrounding geometry,

Sean

I agree.

Rhino and Pro/E are not comparable. Two totally different modeling methods. Pro/E would be catered more to engineering and design, while Rhino is great for visualization and free form concepts.

If you plan to make changes to a model, Rhino would take a lot more work and limit you in many ways. Pro/E will be very simple and quick to modify. This is assuming you created a good model to work from.

Don't go by the images you see on the Rhino site. That is misleading. If you actually use Rhino, you will realize that it's a completely different animal and would probably not fit in a Design Engineering type of environment.

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"

Meanwhile, there is a free add-on that works in WF4, at least, that is supposed to automatically open a Rhino file and let you generate a Pro/E part.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags