cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Sketching

ptc-1679758
1-Newbie

Sketching

When I am sketching, I find that I need to offset a series of lines I have drawn, but I cannot find an offset tool. The only offset tool there is only works when creating an entity by offsetting an edge, but the edge has to already be created before entering into a new sketch. I would like to be able to sketch a series of lines, the offset a certain distance from each other. I think this is pretty basic, and I know the other CAD packages have this simple capability.
4 REPLIES 4

Felt I think your right, there is no function for offseting sketch entities. However, i have worked with Pro/E for some years now and i cant remember missing such a function. Can you please give us an example for case where you need this functionality.

The only way I can think to do this at the moment is to copy and paste your sketch entities and then add relations such as parallel and coincident such as to make your copied enities uniformly offset. I would however ask why you want to do this. If you want to cut or extrude an offset profile, you can just use the 'Thicken Sketch' option in the feature dashboard.

I missed this function at first after moving from Solidworks... but as Paul has stated... Thicken sketch works for most cases of where you'd use this function. I still find myself looking for it occasionally though.

"Paul Hickman" wrote:

The only way I can think to do this at the moment is to copy and paste your sketch entities and then add relations such as parallel and coincident such as to make your copied enities uniformly offset. I would however ask why you want to do this. If you want to cut or extrude an offset profile, you can just use the 'Thicken Sketch' option in the feature dashboard.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags