cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Timegap

chris5
1-Newbie

Timegap

Hi out there

I wonder since I came on Planet PTC I see that most of my messages are only responded after a day. Most of the time by foreign people.

I work from 8 until 17h. Because of the different timezone I think you come on later, but are there so few users of Planet PTC in western Europ.

Or do they work so hard or may they not visit this site?

Regards

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There are certainly a few on here from the UK.

Maybe we have less to say; or maybe we just don't know all the answers!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

There are certainly a few on here from the UK.

Maybe we have less to say; or maybe we just don't know all the answers!

Hi

I can't believe they are smarter.

Say do you work in mm or still in inches? I wonder.

Regards

Chris

Maybe not smarter but it does depend on what areas people have experience in.

We work in mm pretty much exclusively (Pro/E, sorry Creo/Pro is set in mm, N, s) although of course sometimes we have to use imperial parts - hydraulic fittings, bearings, bolts and nuts if the customer requires it.

We think in a mixture of units - miles per hour, thou (especially for fits and clearances, for the 'more mature' engineers), feet and inches if you ask how tall we are, and so on; but all calculations and all drawings are in metric units. It's just much easier!

Hi

Because many clients still think in KG as weight, we work in mm,kg,s. So all of our weights are 9.81 times smaller.

Have you posted some things you make in pro-e on documents. I did.

It is sometimes very interesting to see those things.

Regards

Chris

We used to use mm, kg, s until we started using Pro/Mechanica (whatever that's called now!). Then we realised that force would be in a strange unit, whereas with mm, N, s it's easy to enter loads, and the calculated stress is directly in MPa.

Of course, as you realise this means that mass is in tonnes, so we have a relation in all our parts: WEIGHT = PRO_MP_MASS * 1000, and then &WEIGHT is shown on the drawing.

I haven't posted anything on the other thread, as most of our models would be confidential. Maybe I'll just post a link to our public website:

http://www.ricardo.com/en-gb/Our-Markets/High-Performance-Vehicles-And-Motorsport/Driveline-and-Transmissions/Products/

Regards,

Jonathan

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags