cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Treads

ManasaRaman
1-Newbie

Treads

How do you use treads for FTC?

17 REPLIES 17

Hi Manasa...

Can you explain more? Are you modeling treads... most people use a toroidal bend for that. Or are you asking a different question?

Please advise...

Thanks!

-Brian

I have the part from the Kit of Parts for FTC 2011 but i don't know how to edit them to fit aroung a sprocket

I have the part from the Kit of Parts for FTC 2011 but i don't know how to edit them to fit aroung a sprocket

Hi Manasa...

I had to do some research because I had no idea what the FTC was. I found the kit of parts modeled in Creo and downloaded them. I will try to find the belts and see how they were modeled. I'll write back with advice on how to wrap them around the sprockets. I have several ideas but I need to do a bit of work before I can give a better response.

Hang in there... I'll write back with more help.

Thanks!
-Brian

Hi again Manasa...

Could you give me specific part numbers you're working with? I've called up the 2011 FTC Checklist of parts so I can see part numbers. I've found several belts and energy bands which could fit around a sprocket. However, I cannot find ANY of these items in the Creo models contained in the kit of parts. I downloaded the models and I'm looking in the "Black Tote" directory which should have the large and small belts. I just can't find those models.

Also... I can't open ANY of these models with my version of Creo because these items were all created in the Student/Training Edition of Creo. I'll go ahead and install the Student Version so I can open the models and continue to help. If you could give me some specific model numbers that would help. If you also happen to know which subfolders I should be looking in, that would also be helpful.

Write back and I'll try to help!

Thanks!

-Brian

Huge kudos to you Brian!

I'm assuming Manasa is a high school student that did a fantastic job of posting his question, but just wound up posting it in a group that's a little less likely to be familiar with the situation.

If you're interested in more of this robot group, please join the conversation in the FIRST group.

Also, the official site for FIRST is usfirst.org

Best wishes,

Josh

Hi Manasa,

Maybe you'll have a little more luck in the FIRST group here http://communities.ptc.com/community/academic-program/first

I will try to take a look at your threads tomorrow.

Josh (FRC mentor)

Ah thanks Josh! I didn't know we had a FIRST group in the PTC Community. Thanks so much for the link. I'll jump over there myself and see there are any questions I can answer. I'm always encouraged to see the next generation learning to use Creo. I'd like to do whatever I can to support their education and development.

Thanks again!

-Brian

My pleasure!

Your involvement in the group alone will be fantastic!

If you think you might want to get involved with a local team, I'll do my best to help find you one

Josh

Hi,

Thanks so musch for all the effort you guys are putting in to help me. Unfortunately I only have creo on my laptop that I leave in the robotics meeting area. Can I let you guys know either friday, saturday, or sunday?

Thanks soooooo much for all the help

-Manasa

Hi,

Thanks so musch for all the effort you guys are putting in to help me. Unfortunately I only have creo on my laptop that I leave in the robotics meeting area. Can I let you guys know either friday, saturday, or sunday?

-Manasa

Hi,

-Manasa

Hi,

-Manasa

Hi Manasa,

you have perfect timing! I just opened up your tank tread.

All I found was a single tread (tank_tread_with_rubber_2012.asm). It looks to me like you will want to assembled this tread to a datum curve that matches what your treads will be riding on.

Ideally, you want to have this curve created in a skeleton model.

Don't get frustrated, I'm using standard terminology for what are actually fairly advanced concepts.

Did your team receive any training?

I will see if I can put together an example for you.

Josh

p.s., only submit once when you complete a comment. It may look like it fails, but you actually just sent about 4 replies

Hi,

I think what you're saying sounds right!

-Manasa

PS. Yeah i just realized that after i reloaded the page 🙂

I was doing things the difficult way. Some really cool people over at Mobius put together a "Roller-Chain-part-UDF document that should be in your kit of parts. You can use the same methodology to put together your tank tracks.

If you can't find it, here is a link to their website http://communities.ptc.com/thread/35617

Keep us updated on your progress and good luck!

Josh

Manasa- I'm around Friday-Sunday. If you have additional questions, just ask and I'll be glad to help over the weekend.

Josh- Yeah those Mobius guys did a great thing. Nice suggestion! Plus you found the model so I can play with it. Thanks again.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags