cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Tube in two trajectories

joe_c
12-Amethyst

Tube in two trajectories

How do i model a tube (left arm only) in two trajectories in one pass?  i got the left arm rotated in one direction (see 1st pic) but i also need to be rotated in another direction like  in pic 2 which i dont have. I had to split it in two sketches. I am sure there is a better way to model this. Any tips?

1st pic:

tube.PNG

2nd pic

tube2.PNG    

this is what i am getting.

tube1.PNG

9 REPLIES 9

If I understand you correctly, Joseph, this is not difficult. You just need a single trajectory that is not all in the same plane. You can get all kinds of complex shapes using compound 3D curves. Just sketch the 2D for the whole path from one perspective (don't agonize about the sketch plane). Then sketch the appropriate view on another plane at 90 degrees to the first. Cntrl select both sketches and select Edit/Intersect to get the compound trajectory.

dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:joe_c)

If you place datum points (which can be in a single feature) you can create a datum curve through points and specify the radius for each bend. Then sweep a section along the curve.

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

Is this what you wanted to do? Attached is the creo 2 file.

Capture.JPG

joe_c
12-Amethyst
(To:BHOoi)

Thanks. What i dont like about the intercept edit is that the radius is not smooth... Though I believe is the way to go if i need to create a dimensional drawing as opposed to points which is not given.  I also tried it with points and the radius is more polished and smooth.

link1.PNG

link.PNG

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

This can be rectified easily by removing the sharp corner of 2nd section:

Capture.JPG

rrich-2
1-Newbie

what you are really trying to create is a simple single sweep, it is not two trajectories.  There are two ways to achieve this.  First is create your two dimensional sweep then add another datum plane to give you the twist angle see picture below.  I created the sweep trajectory on the front datum plane.  Swept the tube then I added DTM 1 through the axis of the tube on an angle to the front plane, I then made the drawing using DTM 1 as the top ref, and RIGHT as the right ref. 

bent tube.jpg

Additionally you could do this by adding the angled datum plane first then put your sketch on that plane and sweep along it.  You would get the same results.

rrich-2
1-Newbie

Another way you can do this is establish both of your straight centerlines of the tube with curves.  Either simply sketched on planes or use the intersected method as shown by BH 001 above.  Once you have both of these curves completed you then want to make a curve through points.  Click on the two end points of the curves.  A straight line will form between the two points.  Next click the options tab before finishing the curve, select tangent for end controls and select the centerlines/curves to set your tangencies.   You will end up with something that looks like this.  You can also go in and tweak this curve by pulling on some control points to further shape this curve.

bent tube2.jpg

ckeller
11-Garnet

If you are ok making multiple sketches and really want only a single sweep in the end, then all you have to do is shift-select the rest of the chain.  It does not have to be a chain created in a single sketch.

Alternatively if you don't like weird kinks in your intersected curves, then you need to ensure that the end-points of the segment in question line up in the direction of projection.  however you should be aware that intersecting 2 arcs won't yield an arc. 

2017-04-04_14h14_45.png

2017-04-04_14h19_42.png

2017-04-04_14h19_52.png

OR with some slight alterations - you can have this:

2017-04-04_14h21_22.png

kdirth
20-Turquoise

Here is an example of how I have done something similar to what I think you are trying to do.

Capture.JPG

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags