cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Using Cocreate data in Creo Parametric

MikeGwin
1-Newbie

Using Cocreate data in Creo Parametric

Can Cocreate files be read into Creo Parametric and be fully parametric/intelligent models? Or do you have to pass through Creo Direct first?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

a) Creo Parametric can read 3D models from Creo Elements/Direct (CoCreate) such as for example .pkg and .sdxx files.

b) Out of that file, Creo Parametric will read assembly structure, geometry information PLUS MORE (more details below)

c) Will this result in a feature tree that contains geometry creation features like a round feature? No

d) Can Creo Parametric or Creo Direct edit those rounds anyway? Yes (with the Flexible Modeling extension of Creo Parameteric and in per se in Creo Direct)

e) Can I add parametric features to that model in Creo Parametric? yes

f) Can I update my Creo Parametric model associatively if I reload a new version of the Creo Elements/Direct model? yes (through the ATB - associative topology bus). As such you can enrich your Creo Elements/Direct model loaded in Creo Parametric for example with constraints, mechanisms etc.and have them preserved which can help supporting downstream processes.

Another use case is simulation. You can load a Creo Elements/Direct model into Creo Simulate, setup an analysis, run it and then re-use that simulation setup seamlessly if subsequent model modifications are done on the Creo Elements/Direct side and re-loaded associatively into Creo Simulate.

Those are examples of use cases how you can already now leverage Creo Apps together with an exisiting Creo Elements/Direct environment

g) Do I get additional intelligence (meta data in the Creo Elements/Direct model) when loading it into Creo Parametric? Yes, already now graphical PMI information along with view information (3D documentation planes) are extracted, containers are mapped to assembly nodes, etc and over the next releases we plan to add more and more depth to this (think of things like extracting attributes, semantic PMI, x-sections, explode states, sheet metal feature information etc, etc. etc....including 2D information)

Hope that clarifies

If you look at Creo Direct and Creo Parametric that are both based on the common data model, then the intent is that all intelligence and design intent is fully preserved when round-tripping between the two.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

a) Creo Parametric can read 3D models from Creo Elements/Direct (CoCreate) such as for example .pkg and .sdxx files.

b) Out of that file, Creo Parametric will read assembly structure, geometry information PLUS MORE (more details below)

c) Will this result in a feature tree that contains geometry creation features like a round feature? No

d) Can Creo Parametric or Creo Direct edit those rounds anyway? Yes (with the Flexible Modeling extension of Creo Parameteric and in per se in Creo Direct)

e) Can I add parametric features to that model in Creo Parametric? yes

f) Can I update my Creo Parametric model associatively if I reload a new version of the Creo Elements/Direct model? yes (through the ATB - associative topology bus). As such you can enrich your Creo Elements/Direct model loaded in Creo Parametric for example with constraints, mechanisms etc.and have them preserved which can help supporting downstream processes.

Another use case is simulation. You can load a Creo Elements/Direct model into Creo Simulate, setup an analysis, run it and then re-use that simulation setup seamlessly if subsequent model modifications are done on the Creo Elements/Direct side and re-loaded associatively into Creo Simulate.

Those are examples of use cases how you can already now leverage Creo Apps together with an exisiting Creo Elements/Direct environment

g) Do I get additional intelligence (meta data in the Creo Elements/Direct model) when loading it into Creo Parametric? Yes, already now graphical PMI information along with view information (3D documentation planes) are extracted, containers are mapped to assembly nodes, etc and over the next releases we plan to add more and more depth to this (think of things like extracting attributes, semantic PMI, x-sections, explode states, sheet metal feature information etc, etc. etc....including 2D information)

Hope that clarifies

If you look at Creo Direct and Creo Parametric that are both based on the common data model, then the intent is that all intelligence and design intent is fully preserved when round-tripping between the two.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags