cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

VARIED DEPTH OF CUT

MelissaG
1-Newbie

VARIED DEPTH OF CUT

Sorry 1st post!

I am using Wildfire 3.0 (I know, behind the times) Well, anyway, in Pro/Man I am working on turning iconnel and would like to be able to vary the depth of cut pass for pass, is there some simple/parameter based method I am missing?

Right now, all I can see is that I would have to program in the passes individually. I am relatively new to the turning in Pro.

Let's say I want to go .030 then .080 then .040 then .060 or something so I am not hitting the insert at the same spot each time.

Thanks!!!

4 REPLIES 4

Let me get this straight: do you want to modify the depth of cut ascending, descending or do you want to introduce by hand for each pass the depth of cut?

JayCrook
5-Regular Member
(To:DogariuSebastia)

I think Melissa wants to enter a starting depth of cut and enter a variable to change the depth of cut by the variable amount. I would also like the variable amount to act on the original depth of cut for the first couple passes and then act on the previous depth of cuts so that the same depth of cut isn't used twice within the first four passes if available.

Another way would be to assign the max depth of cut, the minimum depth of cut and the amount to vary the depth of cut by.

Jay Crook.

In area turning there are Step Depth and Min Step Depth, no Max Stept Depth. I can only think of establishing a formula like F(Step_Depth)=Step_Depth + X, Where X can be a certain amount and Step_Depth = Min_Step_Depth * Y%. I'll try to find something valid. Still, I have to figure out how to make the formula work.

In Area Turning there is a parameter called END_STEP_DEPTH that works in conjunction with STEP_DEPTH. Basically, the STEP_DEPTH value is what is used on your first pass and the END_STEP_DEPTH value is used on the last pass. Any passes in between the first and last will be linearly interpolated based on the step values and cut geometry. This can be used in an ascending or descending manner.

I know this is not exactly what was requested, but it is a quick way to vary depth of cut for one area turning sequence.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags