cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Why must the detail view always follow the layer display of the parent view? Is there a way around this stupid rule?

vincecatlin
10-Marble

Why must the detail view always follow the layer display of the parent view? Is there a way around this stupid rule?

We need to show some tooling pins in a detailed view but they are just clutter in a parent view. Sketching them is a stupid work around.

The other stupid work around is to make the detailed view a general view and add the detail call out separately.

These represent stupid work-arounds - SWA

Does anyone know a way to control layers independently in a detailed view?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:vincecatlin)

My solution is to do a local cross-section in the parent view. It's just another work-around but it solves most of my issues.

Only 1 or 2 times a year do I need to make a detailed view in to a general view and then FAKE the view callouts.

I agree it would be a nice option to allow some control.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

The detail view is a very simple magnified copy of an enclosed portion of the original view. That is its only function. There are no other controls.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

I guess all I can hope for is that PTC will see fit to change that. Which I'm sure will happen any minute now.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

You should submit a product enhancement. I looked and didn't see one.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:StephenW)

Not that it would actually get action but it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

dgrobe
6-Contributor

you could also do a component display in that view.. to hide what your dont want shown..

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:dgrobe)

You can't blank a component in a detail view, you have to blank it in the parent view.

dgrobe
6-Contributor
(To:StephenW)

my mistake, just tested it.. coulda swore i have done it before.  hahah..

StephenW
23-Emerald II

My solution is to do a local cross-section in the parent view. It's just another work-around but it solves most of my issues.

Only 1 or 2 times a year do I need to make a detailed view in to a general view and then FAKE the view callouts.

I agree it would be a nice option to allow some control.

We have many components with small areas of high precision (hence the detailed views) so I find myself doing  the same #@!!&$ work-arounds on a very regular basis.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Are you detailing parts in the context of the assembly?

No, these are almost always component drawings so I'm missing out on any assembly functionality.

The features are created using virtual tool pins and sketches are also created so the dimensions look logical.

The sketches are put on a layer and only unhidden where they are useful.

It all works well until we need a detailed view. Thanks Obama.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Ahhh, I figured there was more to it than my simple imagination was leading too.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags