cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Working Directory

ptc-4781568
1-Newbie

Working Directory

Hi,

Here i am facing a new problem in Creo 2.0. I am not able to set the default working directory. Whenever I close and open the creo. It’s getting resetting to the My Document folder. Can anyone help me on this regards. I want fix the folder and it should not get changed on it own.

Thanks

Deena

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

The answer which you gave is correct but, I facing the issues even after doing the change (Which u have mentioned) Even PTC customer support couldn’t help me in this, they said u need to work in administrator login then only it will work. They actually miss guided me. I said my colleagues are working in same rights which I have they are not facing this kind of issue then how could tell its our IT problem finally they closed the issues.

I found that in the Pin to Start menu it’s the working directory is different. After setting the both the working directory change (Which u have mentioned) its working fine.

Final conclusion is we need to have same working directory at all location Shortcut, Pin to Start menu

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

You set the start folder with the shortcut on your desktop.

Copy and edit the properties of the default Creo startup shortcut (you might have to force ownership).

Edit the properties of the copied shortcut and edit the "Start-in" path to your working directory.

Once Creo opens, set the working directory/folder to the current folder, which will be the one you started in.

Now the weird thing about all versions of Creo/WF/Pro-E is that this working directory seems to change on the fly anytime you look for files elsewhere on the drive... any kind of file.

Hi,

The answer which you gave is correct but, I facing the issues even after doing the change (Which u have mentioned) Even PTC customer support couldn’t help me in this, they said u need to work in administrator login then only it will work. They actually miss guided me. I said my colleagues are working in same rights which I have they are not facing this kind of issue then how could tell its our IT problem finally they closed the issues.

I found that in the Pin to Start menu it’s the working directory is different. After setting the both the working directory change (Which u have mentioned) its working fine.

Final conclusion is we need to have same working directory at all location Shortcut, Pin to Start menu

I find Creo's tracking of the working folder extremely annoying.

I have done a backup countless times only to find that I am actually editing the backup copy, not the master.

I have also found that my working folder changes to folders I visit for picking up config files for appearance or navigating to library files for symbols or some such nonsense. You have to be on your game at all times when it comes to knowing just what is being changed. It has always been this way and I expect nothing from PTC in correcting this. I just know to do certain operations with keen awareness.

I'm having that same problem and it is extremely annoying. I don't remember it being a problem pre-Creo. Has anybody found a solution to this? Talk about creating unnecessary work! This is just stupid.

...and welcome to the forum

Try file_open_default_folder working_directory in your config.pro.

Reinhard

Right click on the icon on your desktop that you use to open Creo. Click on Properties. Click on the Shortcut tab. There is a field named Start In: Type in the location of the directly that you want Creo to open to. Click OK.

Why PTC does it this way I do not know.

Using "My Documents" as a default is a requirement from Microsoft for certification.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:dschenken)

Might be a requirement for certification, but changing it to your folder of choice is still allowed.

Ben,

I hope that you know the following config.pro option

file_open_default_folder working_directory

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags