cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

can you shell a revolution?

ptc-4691901
1-Newbie

can you shell a revolution?

I am trying to make a focus for the front of a flashlight (see the attached file). I can make the shape with a revolution, but I want to shell it and put a hole for a light on the small end. Can someone offer advice on the best way to do this? Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

You can shell a solid revolve but that means you define the outside surface which is not the reflector surface.

You might consider the revolve with a thickness instead. You get the option to add thickness to the inside, middle, or outside.

You can also make the revolve as a surface and later add thickness if you want to add features before making it solid. Remember to merge different quilts before applying thickness.

Thanks for responding - can you give more instruction on how to revolve with a thickness? When I edit the revolution I see where I can set the thickness, but when I click "ok" it still seems solid.

Sorry, yes, revolve with thickness is indeed a solid body. That would equivalent to creating a shell (roughly), with the option on which side you wish to add the thickness.

In addition, if you create a surface quilt, you can offset this and it will be "hollow" if that is what you are looking for.

offset.JPG

SylvainA.
4-Participant
(To:ptc-4691901)

In WF5, click the "thin" icon, then set the thickness value and direction.

thin revolve.jpg

Obviously, you have to draw an open sketch like the one of Antonius.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags