cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

independent geometry

ptc-2756516
1-Newbie

independent geometry

in the insert menu, there is a pick called independent geometry. what does it do?
3 REPLIES 3

I believe that it is used to insert non-native CAD data into the part.

I do not know anyone that uses the command. It is a tool for Pro/SCAN-TOOLS that creates an empty Style feature. What is Pro/SCAN-TOOLS? - "a set of tools to transform imported surfaces, quilts, triangulation data, or raw data into manufacturable models". Could be useful to those that work with imported data and style features. Regards-

I use it from time to time. Case one: independent geometry allows you create an independently copied curve from -lets say- an imported calculated curve from some other application. The independend (copied) curve may then be simpified by the means of reducing points e.g. keeping withing a specified tolerance to the original curve (mathematical curves are often "plotted" from far to many points in order to be able nice and clean surfaces out of them). I use this one for curve optimisation of import curves mainly. Case two: using the "surface from surface" command a so called "snap shot surface" can be created, an untrimmed surface from an originally trimmed face. I use this one often when working with dead import geometry and need to get hold of the original untrimmed surfacees. As the name suggests all geometries created within this feature are independent from the original import data. They may be refitted to newly (replacing) import geometry at any time though. There is a hole bunch more that can be done within this feature, these are just two examples for practical use. I think some of the functionality used to be in a module called "scan tools". Hope this helps.
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags