cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

<auto generated name>

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

<auto generated name>

When I start a new asm/prt, how do I get Creo to automatically to fill in a unique name (eg. 0000247506.prt) instead of eg. prt0001.prt.

I have to rename all parts manually everytime I check in (the actual names are irrelevant, they just have to be unique).

I used to have this setting for generation of unique names but I lost this when we moved to Winchill 11.

6 REPLIES 6
Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I
(To:bp)

Hi,

I am not a Windchill expert however I think below article will answer your query.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS20158

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor
(To:Mahesh_Sharma)

Sadly i dont have access to that link, could you give me some more info please?

Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I

Hi,

Contents are as:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• To disable Autonumbering : Comment out the number algorithm values in the Object Initialization Rule (OIR):

<AttrConstraint id="number" algorithm="com.ptc.core.rule.server.impl.GatherAttributeConstraints">

<!-- 
<Value algorithm="com.ptc.core.rule.server.impl.GetServerAssignedConstraint"/>

<Value algorithm="com.ptc.core.rule.server.impl.GetImmutableConstraint"/>
-->

</AttrConstraint>

Note:To enable Autonumbering again revert back the above changes by uncommenting number algorithm values in Object Initialization Rule

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi BJ,

Did Mahesh's or Milan's answer help resolve your query?  If so, could you please mark it as the Correct Answer.

That way, anybody else looking for the same assistance, will find the resolution right away.

Thanks,

Amit

bp
6-Contributor
6-Contributor
(To:AmitDeshpande)

sadly no,

Like I said, In Creo 2 I somehow managed to have autonumbering differently from what I have now and Im pretty sure its a setting in Windchill that does not require programming of any kind.

mbonka
15-Moonstone

Hello  bj p,

it´s about auto-numbering scheme VS manual-numbering scheme. Most of skilled WCH admins prefer autonumbering scheme.

See for example:

WCH part numbering --- "semi-autonumbering"

Manualnumbering VS Autonumbering

This 2 topics describes basic difference between auto and manual numbering.

Hope it can helps...

Regards Milan

Top Tags