cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

open .jt file in Creo parametric

gannuagastya
6-Contributor

open .jt file in Creo parametric

Hello, I have .jt file of a tank and would like to convert it into a format which Creo can open and save. I tried saving it as NX .prt file in NX12 and open it in Creo but "this part cannot be retrieved" message pops up. Is there any other solution for this?

I'm not able to open .jt file directly on Creo because I do not have the plugin to do that. Hence I'm using NX 12 to open and convert .jt file. 

7 REPLIES 7

What version of Creo are you using?

There is a compatibility issue that only certain versions of NX can be opened in certain versions of Creo.

Creo 3 only supports up to NX 8.5.

Creo 4 may only support NX 10 or possibly NX11.

Try importing the .jt file into an earlier version of NX, if you have it and try again.

I'm using Creo Parametric 4.0 and would be surprised if it cannot open NX 12 part files. Is there an option to import as NX 11 version using NX 12?

This seems like a can of worms when you dive into it.

On the surface, the only .jt configuration options are in exporting (intf... options).

But on other sites, Creo is noted as opening these files, but it doesn't even see them.

Do note that .jt files are facet files. 

They have very little intelligence other than display information mapped to 2-1/2D graphics space from a 3D point cloud. 

If you can open it in NX, you can output it as any of the accepted facet files and Creo will open it.

Looks like the .jt files I have does not contain any b-rep data which means cannot be opened in Creo directly, hence they are facet files as you said. I'm able to convert them into IGES format and then open in Creo but IGES is a dead format,does not contain much data, Do you suggest any better format than IGES or STEP?

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:gannuagastya)

What was your expectation? You will not get any features or model tree history other than an import feature.

gannuagastya
6-Contributor
(To:StephenW)

I keep losing few components (in case of a complex assembly) in Parasolid and STEP formats. I don't know the reason for it. I'm aware of the fact that only import feature will be visible which is good enough for my needs.  

IGES is not dead but it has limitations.  Specifically, IGES normally only carries surface and edge data and as such cannot recognize relations to other surfaces.  Worse yet is making an IGES from facet because IGES will simply create a ton of little individual triangles.  One use for IGES in Creo is curves and point clouds.  Developed surface references is another power use for IGES.

STEP is my goto format.  It does have issues but it is 99% reliable.  My backup is parasolid (X_T) which normally solves the few parts that "invert" in STEP export.  Just know that surface models do not import or export with these formats to or from Creo

I've had to import all kind of poor data into Creo.  It is never straight forward.  Interference is the typical problem but it is certainly not limited to this.  I even resort to multiple exports from various systems to keep from having to fix geometry.

Top Tags