cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

what is the benefit of the introduction of taper option in extrude?

rohit_rajan
13-Aquamarine

what is the benefit of the introduction of taper option in extrude?

what is the benefit of the introduction of taper option in extrude?when there is a full fledged separate draft option.

too many same time of options create a lot of confusion like in ...solidworks...there are three known option to select sketch..either through the main tool bar,or right click or by pressing "S".

this over simplification is not necessary.

11 REPLIES 11
pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:rohit_rajan)

In our application we find the extrude taper beneficial as it eliminates an extra step.

The parts we build include draft. It is helpful to extrude drafted features with this taper.

I think it is really a question of the construction method.
I advise to use two separate features because it makes it easier to suppress just the draft if needed in the development process.
But I am aware that other designer go for as few features as possible.

I teach my users not to use it. It feels handy and like a time saver, but it typically makes downstream features more difficult and can make later changes to that feature more difficult.

I wouldn't argue that it shouldn't be included in the software, just that robust modeling would limit its use.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Personally I think it needs one other option -added-... taper in the opposite direction for the second direction.

It is silly that it tapers + on one side and - on the other.

When you do text impressions, I wouldn't use anything else.

Maybe a multi-step taper would be even better!

There are a lot of features that have a common taper to them. Collets for instance... 5 degrees every time. O-ring gland walls... taper dowel pins...

that way the Draft option would become redundant Antonius.

Okay, get rid of the draft feature

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Draft with Extrude is very helpful in our application which every part of the parts is drafted. This allows the 1 step creation of single feature extrudes.

On the other hand the draft feature also extremely helpful when the profile of our complex parts have varying locks.

Both are great tools.

Agreed. the work with texts is much easier.

Antonius Dirriwachter wrote:

Personally I think it needs one other option -added-... taper in the opposite direction for the second direction.

It is silly that it tapers + on one side and - on the other.

When you do text impressions, I wouldn't use anything else.

Maybe a multi-step taper would be even better!

There are a lot of features that have a common taper to them. Collets for instance... 5 degrees every time. O-ring gland walls... taper dowel pins...

Those are great examples of where this feature is useful. We don't deal with them much (except for text), we're typically doing fairly complex injection molded parts. There keeping the draft separate from the extrude makes for a much more flexible and robust model.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

pro/e was a spectacular tool...before Creo came in.

it stood out....

now by just aping what is there in solidworks etc....PTC is no doing any good to the software.

they should add capabilities...which would increase the robustness of the software.

concentrate more on the surfacing capabilities...in the foundation package.

improve symbol creation method in detailing

Well, I'm on an old version of creo, but I'd like the option to do an extrude with draft. If I'm doing a REALLY simple part, or, as Antonious suggested, text, then it's a no-brainer. But if I'm doing a complex part, I might not use it. ALTHOUGH, it might help with parent-child relationships in large complex parts, to keep rounds from failing, etc.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags