cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D Detailing in Drawings, Please move the dimension text away from the placement cursor

2D Detailing in Drawings, Please move the dimension text away from the placement cursor

hen we dimension our parts in Drawing mode, we often times have to select two edges or surfaces for placement of dimensions.  What we have found is that by selecting one edge first, that edge gets a dimension (although, that is not the length you are looking to dimension), but that text covers the cursor when you try to place select the second edge or surface.  When this is a very small feature, this is a bit obtrusive.  Is there a way to move that text to the side of the cursor so that the arrow is unobstructed?  We have many users organization-wide that complain about this on a daily basis.  I mean I understand that users may want to place that text dead center on the length of the dimension, but while the selection is active, can the text shift to the left or right?

Dimension 01.pngDimension 02.pngDimension 03.pngDimension 04.pngDimension 05.png

3 Comments
Visitor

There is a config.pro option 'suppress_dim_ghost_with_ctrl' that will temporarily hide the dimension preview when you press the CTRL key to select the second reference. That should make it easier to see what you're picking and solve the problem.

Sapphire II

That option works very well. Seems to me this option should default to YES simply becuase when you are adding dimensions, the workflow dictates you must hold CTRL to add the second point, when adding the second point for the dimension, the dimension preview is now useless information.

I think the preview adds value. But once you are adding the additional dimensioning reference, it offers no additional value (in my opinion) and, as the original post notes, can be a detriment to productivity.

Aquamarine

@RaphaelN and @StephenWilliams, thanks for the feedback, I will get this added to our users' config.pros and get them pushed out to our users.  I think this will definitely ease some of the tension that our users are experiencing with detailing our drawings.  I did notice though that when ghosting it basically colors the text and witness lines WHITE based on where the cursor is at the time the CTRL button is hit, and hides the reference in the background.  That said, maybe a possible improvement is to make the dim CLEAR instead of WHITE, and I think that will be appreciated.  Otherwise, just hitting CTRL ahead of time away from the second reference, no problem.  See the images to show the dimension and witness lines covering up Geometry.

Thanks again for the tip on this!

CTRL Dim 1.pngCTRL Dim 2.png