cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to Extrude a closed surface "up to selected".

Ability to Extrude a closed surface "up to selected".

We can extrude a solid “up to selected” that is not parallel with the sketching plane.
Currently we are unable to extrude a surface “up to selected” if that surface is not parallel with the sketching plane. The surface that you want to extrude up to will not pre-highlight for selection.
The functionality exists in extruding a mold volume in mold-design extension. A mold volume is nothing more than a closed quilt.
The functionality is already in the software with solid extrude, I/We are asking for this functionality to be enabled for both solid extrudes and surface extrudes.

c12167388.JPG

There is a work-around: If you select solid extrude first, choose your “up to selected” reference, then switch it to surface extrude; it will only work if your “up to selected” reference is 3.0 degrees or less from your sketch plane.

c12167388_2.JPG

This issue was submitted to tech-support under call number C12167388 and issued to R&D under SPR 2120094.
•Here is their response:
This is in reference to case C12167388, regarding “unable to Extrude a quilt “Up to selected” for a non-parallel reference”.
This issue was with R&D under existing SPR 2120094 and development has closed the SPR confirming that currently there are no plans to implement this functionality.
You can submit an product idea for the same at http://support.ptc.com/support/PTC_Product_Ideas.htm
Best Regards,
Mahesh Sharma
Lead Technical Support Engineer
T 1.800.477.6435
6 Comments
Granite

There's no justification for this not being already implemented other than lazy programming.

I agree.

Hi Dan,

Here there is another work around movie where shows how to use the "copy and paste" (Ctrl+c/Ctrl+v) to define the target surface for the extrusion feature.... with this trick you can use really complicated surfaces and you can switch the feature from surface to solid and vice versa at any time.

Video Link : 6949

I agree with you when you say that the default extrude feature needs to be implemented with this functionality.

Gabriele

I agree, too.

YES!

I agree also:  The default extrude feature needs to be implemented with this functionality.

May somebody will test this in Creo 5.0 and write some comment?

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged