Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to use multi-units in sketcher "on the fly"

Ability to use multi-units in sketcher "on the fly"

Have the ability to type in 25 mm or 25 in into a sketcher dimension and Pro/Creo will translate it to whatever units you are in currently.

7 Comments
Patriot_1776
Sapphire I

Well, you sort of can already.  You can enter an equation instead of a hard number.  If you have your units set to inches, you can simply type in "1/25.4" to get 1mm.  I do that a lot to get a nominal dimension form limit dimensions.

KrisR

Bah....easier to enter in or mm don't you think?

Patriot_1776
Sapphire I

Yes, but.....I guess I've never had it be much of an issue.  You can also create parameters with conversion factors, and write relations.  I did that for a temperature label to convert F to C, and then used the parameters values as driven text in a datum curve to show the value of the parameters.  I made a family table of the temp labels, and it worked out pretty well.

Google Sketchup does this, and it's quite useful for modelling my house where I tend to measure existing things in mm, but I often think in imperial for larger (and less precise) things, or where objects like sheds are sold in feet and inches!

However, I've never really found in necessary in my job - as Frank says, the "xx*25.4" does the job on the few occasions it's applicable.

KrisR

I guess it's an "how often do you use it" kind of thing

GrahameWard
Participant

That's an excellent idea: and thank you, Frank "workaround" Shiavone.

PTCModerator
Emeritus
Status changed to: Archived