cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add config option to allow "Use Template" to be the default selection when creating a new drawing.

Add config option to allow "Use Template" to be the default selection when creating a new drawing.

In order to make it easier to enforce the use of Drawing Templates within organizations, the inclusion of a config option to make "Use Template" the default option when creating a new drawing would be extremely useful.

7 Comments
BenLoosli
23-Emerald I

It already does this if you have a drawing template defined in your config.pro.

Template_drawing is the option and it points to the full path of your default template.

template_drawing e:\ptc\library\templates\mycompanyD-size.drw

lhoogeveen
17-Peridot

@BenLoosli The template_drawing option only lets you use 1 predefined template versus defaulting to have the user pick from a list multiple drawing templates (ex: different sizes or whatever templates your company admin has made). We have template_drawing set but the new drawing menu defaults to showing 'Empty'. As an admin, I like the idea above to encourage using the available drawing template options instead of the 'Empty' or 'Empty with format' options.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald I

Not true. When I create a new drawing I get the Use Default Template box checked on the window where I enter the drawing number and title. On the next screen, I get the list of our drawing templates with the one in Drawing Template highlighted. I will post screen images tomorrow when I am back in the office.

lhoogeveen
17-Peridot

@BenLoosli I think maybe we're both right. 😀 With the option force_new_file_options_dialog yes set, there is no way to get the drawing templates to come up by default.

Ross1395
3-Visitor

@lhoogeveen is correct in describing what I am looking for. I do not want to set a default template, as different product lines use different templates. I want the default template to be none, then force the user to pick the template the require from the list.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald I

Set the option @lhoogeveen mentioned to no and you get the Template folder displayed with all choices.

Another option is to use a mapkey to redefine the default Drawing_Template file name for each project.

Ross1395
3-Visitor

Coming back to this after a while. The problem with setting force_new_file_options_dialog to no is that it then skips the Assembly and Part template selection window.

We want the user to have full control over which templates they are using for Parts, Assemblies and Drawings.