Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add option to disable automatic updating of current orientation

Add option to disable automatic updating of current orientation

As a product designer, I do a lot of trade studies to compare various options, or compare one design in the various states it can take.  Oftentimes, I need to collaborate with someone else, who may look over my shoulder at my Creo Parametric screen.  To understand the differences between options or states, you often want to do "A - B studies".  Do you like "this" or "that"?  So, you may wish to switch back and forth from one simp rep to another quickly, to highlight the changes.  Or turn a section cut on and off.  Or, do a "poor man's animation", by setting a relation such as "X = X+1", so a dimension grows slightly with each regen.

In these cases, the ability to visualize the changes is severely hampered because Creo Parametric automatically refits the view when you regen, when you switch simp reps, and when you turn a section on or off.  You really just want to see what changed in the model, without the model moving across the screen, or the zoom level changing.  If the overall "bounding box" of the model changes, the view on screen changes.  Suppose you are zoomed in close on a particular detail feature of the model, and then select a different simp rep.  The view may change such that the area you were looking at is now off screen!

I can understand that many users may  appreciate these automatic refits, but I do not.  Therefore, I propose a new config.pro option that would make everyone happy.  I suggest it be called "update_current_orientation", and it should have three options, "always", "sometimes", and "never".

"update_current_orientation always" would be the current default behavior everyone is used to.

"update_current_orientation sometimes" would prevent any changes to the view position, angle, and zoom whenever the user switches simp reps, sections, exploded views, snapshots, or combined states (that have orientation set to "none"), etc., but would still do the refit as per usual upon a regen.

"update_current_orientation never" would prevent the view from changing at all times (including upon regen), until the user manually clicks the "refit" button on the graphics toolbar.

2 Comments
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived