Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add thickness to a 3D Spline in Modeling and in Annotator

Add thickness to a 3D Spline in Modeling and in Annotator

Add a property of 'thickness' to 3D splines for instance Ø.25 inch for showing our most common air hoses. This is more convenient than have to create a 3D spline, then sweep it for an air hose or piece of wire, particularly when the ends move or routing needs to change. If there is a routing change using the old sweep method, you have to have saved the original 3D spline (which may often be discarded the same as a workplane is usually discarded), change the spline, delete the geometry of the part, and re-sweep new geometry for the part.

Even better would be if you could define an ID to even better represent air hose.

3 Comments

Have you tried the Cabling module? It allows you to change the 3D spline and have it update the "thickened" model.

Also, have you tried the "goody" for thickening curves? I find it easier to use than sweep. I would also add a container to the 3D curve part and put the thickened part in it. You could put three thickened parts in it, one with the OD, one with the ID, and one where the ID is subtracted from the OD to give you the hose.

I hadn't used the thicken goody - it is handy! The nice thing is I can use "thicken add" for the OD of the hose, and "thicken rem" for the ID. If I need to reroute the hose, I can use "thicken rem" with a diameter larger than the OD, reroute the spline, then do "thicken add"/"thicken rem" again to the same part.

(load "cv3d_thicken")

The downside is that I still have to manage three documents in MM - the model, the container, and the the spline. It's a lot more cumbersome than just a spline that carries it's own thickness, but it gets me there.

Thanks

Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived