cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Allow Simplified Reps to Substitute Functional Interchange Types

0 Kudos

Allow Simplified Reps to Substitute Functional Interchange Types

1. Describe your environment: What is your industry? What is your role in your organization? Describe your stakeholders.

Industry: Energy Industry

Role: Senior CAD Application Engineer

2. What version of Creo Parametric are you currently running?
Creo 4.0 M150 (but still not possible in Creo 8.0.3.0)

3. Describe the problem you are trying to solve. Please include detailed documentation such as screenshots, images or video.

To be able to save different configurations using Interchange Assemblies inside Simplified Reps.

Currently according to CS53301:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS53301

Only Simplify Interchange Types can be Substituted in Simplified Reps.

Resulting in the following message when using Functional interchange type:

Ross1395_0-1664966250222.png

4. What is the use case for your organization?
To be able to switch between different configurations in the same top level assembly using Simplified Reps.

5. What business value would your suggestion represent for your organization?
Huge increase in productivity - being able to quickly generate new assemblies based on master configurations.

2 Comments
olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Thank you @Ross1395  for your idea. Based on the information you provided, we are acknowledging it as the Community management team. This is not a commitment from the Product team. Other users may comment and vote your idea up.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

@Ross1395 I'm curious, CS53301 refers to this as "improper technique"...I tend to agree.

You don't assemble a simplified rep, you assemble a part or assembly. During the process, you can choose a rep to use, but it isn't a thing that can be replaced, not like a component.  You can easily change a simplified rep within an assembly.

My understanding is, PTC's stance on simplified reps are that they are used for Large assembly management and not for "product variations". I know i have tried to use them for product variations and they quickly spiral out of control. This is my experience and my no means should be construed to any sort of answer from PTC.