Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow export and import of 3D annotations

Allow export and import of 3D annotations

Currently, if a company is using 3D annotations to define models without a drawing, the annotations have to be re-created in each model; there is no way to export annotations and import them into another model.

PTC please add the functionality to export, store, and import 3D annotations.

9 Comments
Peridot

It is difficult to see how this could be implemented, but I do agree that saved states should be "transferable" to next level assemblies or even downgraded from an assembly level to a part level.

As I know, starting at Wildfire 5.0, export STEP file support including 3D annotation.

Aquamarine

True, but you can't import it into another model as an annotation.

Aquamarine

@Antonius, why should this be any more difficult than a copy geometry or a UDF?

Peridot

Because geometry and command files are easy... and in PTC's ultimate wisdom, there is nothing easy about the ASME Y14.41 annotation implementation.  The difficulty I see is re-associating the data.  All the annotation features are children of geometry features which rarely transfer with any level of intelligence at all.  I am assuming that your original Idea maintains the intelligence as expected under the ASME Y14.41 implementation currently in force.

Aquamarine

Actually, the ones I want to transfer are just general notes, flat to screen, unassociated to any geometry.

I can understand the difficulty in trying to transfer an annotation associated to a feature, but that can already be done in a UDF as long as the feature is copied with it.

In this case, I'm just talking about calllouts that can be attached to anything.

Peridot

Ooooooohhhh

Yes, it would seem logical that you can simply copy all annotation on the "flat to screen" orientation and paste it somewhere else.  This particular annotation plane is quite independent compared to the rest.

As for my request, it really is much deeper than this.  The real-world scenario is that I constantly get into a situation where the fabrication part is either a part or assembly type.  And in the middle of the project, it flips.  I want to be able to transfer all that annotation work from one to the other easily.  It is not like there are different features, they are simply annotated at different levels.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged