Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow format size and origin to be modified

Allow format size and origin to be modified

Currently, there is no way to modify the size of a format.  This eliminates the use of save as to easily copy a format and the modify the format elements to fit a new format size.  The user has to start a format from scratch every time a new format is needed. 

Also, the origin is always in the lower left of the format.  Traditionally, drawings have the titleblock, revision table, etc. on the right hand of the drawing.  This means that when a user changes from one format to another, all views, tables, etc. are in the wrong place, and have to be shifted.  Making the format origin on the right would allow changing of formats without having to move all of the drawing elements.

PTC please allow the format size to be modified so users can use save as to create new formats, and please allow more options for the format origin.

2 Comments
Sapphire I

I disagree! You can change the size and information layout of a format, just it is not totally easy. I look at formats as a one-time thing, so spending development money on a slick process to change them is not efficient. I have been here 8 years and we have only created new formats once due to a company name change and to comply with the margin requirements of ASME Y14-1. Last place I worked, 4 years and no format change. The one before that, 11 years and only changed formats once when we went to Windchill and a universal global format.

Take your existing format and do a save as to the new name, C-size.frm to B-size.frm. I went C to B because the font sizes and titleblock layouts are the same size. D and larger drawings have different font sizes and the symbols, text in the format block, etc. all need to be changed.

Save off the tables from the C-size format.

Move the top and right edges to match the B-size requirements. Create new lines offset by the difference is also an option.

Trim all of the lines so you have a B-size frame.

In drawing setup, change the sheet size to B.

Place the saved tables back in the lower right corner or wherever you need them.

Save the new format.

Create a new or copy an existing drawing template and put in your new format.

Aquamarine
@BenLoosli, the process you outline doesn't actually change the size of the new format. In your case, the new b-size format is still a c-size format, no matter what you do to the sketch elements. The size of the format, and the zoom extents associated with it, are set only once at the format creation and currently can not be modified once set. As for frequency, I've worked for a lot of start up companies, and as the companies grow and change format changes are an almost yearly event. Also, there are lots of non-standard illustrations that need formats. For instance, I'm working on a series of drawings that range in length from 15 to 40 feet. Take into account too all of the shops that do work for multiple companies and you start to see why this is a big impact on productivity. A quick search of the forums shows this same question asked multiple times, so these are definitely features that users would like to have.