Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow mirrored component placement without creating a new model

Allow mirrored component placement without creating a new model

I can't believe we still can't mirror existing components in Pro/E yet.  This seems like a really basic and essential function.

Essentially what I am looking for is a mirror pattern, or a copy > paste special > mirror.

PTC, please allow mirroring of components without creating a new model.

ANSWER IS BELOW:

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/2954#comment-10450

18 Comments
Aquamarine

We're on WF 5.0

I put in a ticket, but the techs have not given me a solution yet that doesn't involve creating a new part.

I just want to mirror the existing part and reuse it in the mirrored placement, i.e. a bolt on the left of an assembly mirrored to have the same placement on the right and both bolts are the same part.

Aquamarine

@Steven, can you explain how you accomplish this?

Topaz II

The key here is his desire to do so "without creating a new part."  I voted no because it goes against the fundamental philosophy of Proe/Creo to imitate the physical in the CAD.  If there's a mirrored part, it's a part and should be represented as such. 

I get that it's possible in other systems, but that's not how Proe/Creo has traditionally been  structured and I'd rather not see that changed.

Aquamarine

@Steven, in your example, you have created a new part, which is exactly what I don't want to do.

Aquamarine

@Doug, according to your logic, Creo should not allow patterns either.

I'm not sure if you're just trying to be a Creo apologist, but this is critical functionality that is missing in Creo that is available in other software packages.

I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want this.

Topaz II

I'm not sure how patterns apply here.  If I have 5 bolts in my assembly, there are 5 instances of the bolt in the tree and I have a a bolt part file on disk, whether they are pattered or not.  A mirrored component that does not create a part file is not the same.  You then have a part with no part file representation on disk.

I get that other packages allow this.  I'm not arguing if it's right or wrong to allow that, only that it operates against the long standing philosophy or Proe/Creo.

I'm curious why having the file on disk is a problem.  What do you gain by not having a part file?  I don't see an advantage, but maybe I'm missing it.

Sapphire II

I believe this is available and has been for a least a couple of versions of pro/e. I just tested in WF 5(Creo pro/blah blah). If you look at the screenshot provided by Steven, the option that should have been selected is "MIRROR PLACEMENT ONLY". The componenent created will still ask for a new name but it doesn't use the name, it simply copies (for lack of a better word) the component in the mirror location of the original.

Don't be confused by it asking for a new name, that part is poor programming.

.mirror.jpg

Aquamarine

The model, or file on disk, as you call it, would still exist; it's the same model.

In the model tree it would show Bolt_A in the original position and Bolt_A in the mirrored position.  In Steven's example, he has created 2 separate parts, Bolt_A and Bolt_D.  I just want to mirror Bolt_A into an opposite position.

Aquamarine

Yes!  Thank you Stephen!

This is exactly what I am looking for.  🙂

Sapphire I

Can you show something other than a bolt? Does the bolt now have LH threads instead of right hand? If not, then it is not a mirror.

Aquamarine

@Dale, if it had left hand threads, then it would be a new component and would need a new file; PTC already provides for that too.

Stephen's solution is exactly what I was looking for; mirroring the component's placement.

Aquamarine

I clarified the title.

Sapphire I

Then your title is misleading because it is talking about a mirror component, not mirrored component placement.

For most of the discussions that I recall mirror componenet means LH and RH parts.

Topaz II

Ahhhhh, I see now.  I misunderstood, I saw 'mirror component' and assumed new part with opposite geometry, not simply same geometry in a mirrored placement.

I didn't know that was possible, very nice. 

I changed my vote, although it's immeterial since it's already possible.

Aquamarine

Yeah, sorry about that.  I guess my title was pretty confusing.

I'm just glad the functionality actually exists.  I even created a PTC ticket and after a week of "testing", the tech said it couldn't be done.

Sapphire I

Couldn't be done? You better show him a thing or two.

They know their software so well.

Aquamarine

Next step, mirror multiple components:

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/3151

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged