Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow revolve/extrude feature to start away from the sketching plane

Allow revolve/extrude feature to start away from the sketching plane

I'm working with WF5 and I often need to have a Revolve or Extrude feature that does not start from an existing plane.

Thus it would be helpful if we could have a from...to... in the depth or angle options or if we could put a negative value in the second side option.

As an example, if we want to make a revolved protrusion from 30° to 60° from the sketching plane without creating a new plane, we will simply have to enter the proper values in the fields Side 1 (Variable / 60) and Side 2 (Variable / -30) of the Revolve feature.

6 Comments
Moonstone

I voted down, because in my opinion the design intention is more clear, if an additional datum plane gets created.

Visitor

To "have" to start or end at a datum plane adds to the amount of steps to complete a job.  It also adds to the complexity and clutter.  I personally would find it very helpful in extrudes.  I'd like to start a taper from the end, and grow larger up to the parting line all in one operation.

If clutter in the model tree bothers you, you can create a datum 'on the fly' - it's consistent with referencing previous features throughout Pro/E, sorry, Creo.

IMHO this is only a short step from reverting to AutoCAD and doing everything by co-ordinates... why have a plane at all?

Dennis has understood my thought : I would like to lower the amount of steps.

Jonathan Hodgson wrote:

IMHO this is only a short step from reverting to AutoCAD and doing everything by co-ordinates... why have a plane at all?

If it allows users to work faster without loosing efficience, why not?

I mean : the implementation of this kind of feature will still allow you to create a datum plane if you want to use it.

Good Idea! we have a lot of use case for this feature in watch and jewelery. Some of our users are old Catia or SolidWorks user which have this features

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged