Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow switching between multiple workspaces without clearing the session

Allow switching between multiple workspaces without clearing the session

Currently, to switch between workspaces in a linked session with Windchill, the current session has to be erased.  The only way around this is to set up a custom launch script that uses an additional license and a separate cache location.  That would be fine, but there is not an easy way to do this enterprise-wide.

Please enhance simultaneous linked session functionality, i.e. multiple instances of Pro/E, so that users can easily switch between workspaces without erasing their current session.

5 Comments

I open Wildfire 5.0 and I am able to have multiple sessions of Pro/E open.  I have to use the original shortcut, however, I cannot use the New or Windows buttons.

I don't do that much, though, mostly because its easy to get confused which set of windows belongs with which session.

Shawn,  I too am concerned that confusion of the user and the session could be a VERY Dangerous thing. 

Domingo,  Maybe you could explain how this confusion could be avoided by a user in your Idea.  Otherwise I will have to considder voting this down unless you can provide some details.

Currently it is also the option of the user to not erase session but then those files in session will point back to the current active workspace.

Thanks,

I occasionally open two concurrent sessions of Pro/E. The way I differentiate is by changing the colour scheme of the second on to Wildfire standard (my usual preference is for the old-school pre-Wildfire graduated blue background). I have a mapkey set up to accomplish this with a couple of key presses.

In this way, I am readily able to tell, at a glance, which session I am looking at; the one that looks right is the 'main' session, whilst the 'secondary' session is the one in which I struggle to make out the difference between highlighted and un-highlighted items or whether the icon is the 'pressed' one or the 'unpressed one'.

Another advantage of this approach is that it includes a built-in discouraging mechanism that makes me try to avoid having to open the secondary session at all!

I just hope I can sort out the syscol file to get Creo 2 looking the right colours when we eventually go there...

John

Amethyst

@DHLewis and ShawnPete, what John Wayman says sums it up nicely.  I am the last stop on the release train, so I frequently need to open another session of Pro so I don't have to erase the design on which I'm working to change tasks.  Other susers have expressed the desire for this functionality as well.

I'm sure PTC could come up with a scheme that would easily allow users to open more than one session, and indicate the session for each window by color or in the header or both.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived