cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow the geometric resolution of an EMPTY PART to be set to a smaller value.

Allow the geometric resolution of an EMPTY PART to be set to a smaller value.

Right now it's generally possible only to set coarser values for Geometric Resolution of a part in Modeling.  I can understand why this might be so when there is actual part geometry involved, but if it's an EMPTY PART (no vertices/edges/faces/volume) it should be possible to set the Geometric Resolution to any supported value, e.g. 1e-6mm, even if the part may originally have had a different coarser (larger value) resolution.

5 Comments
PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member

I agree that it should be allowed, but if there is no geometry, why not just change the default resolution and then create a new part instead?

tbower
1-Newbie

In my case I had reasons to preserve the Sys-ID and attributes of the existing part.  Agreed, it's a low priority, rarely needed idea.  I was doing the old "delete all faces of the old and unite to the new" routine and was surprised that the result still had the old part's coarser geometric resolution.

The "Reintegrate" command is another useful command, one which can swap out a poor-geometric-resolution part for another of higher quality.

PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member

I had a feeling that you wanted to preserve the SysID. But, as you say, the "Reintegrate" command can do that. It should not be difficult to write a LISP function that would automate this. It would:

• Have you select an empty part
  • Have you specify a resolution
  • Remember the current default resolution
  • Change the default resolution to the value specified
  • Create an empty part
  • Change the resolution back to the original default resolution
  • Reintegrate the selected part with the newly created empty part
MaxR.Kublin
11-Garnet

What Pete describes *is* a fully working solution - can be done with Standard/supported IKIT functions.

No need to wait long or forever until this product idea is implemented by the manufacturer.

However, I do not quite understand why you want to create an "empty part".

I guess you want to add geometry to this empty part after you have changed its Resolution?

MaxR.Kublin
11-Garnet

Ashes on my head - I just noticed that TOM explained already what he wanted to achieve.

And I can explain why the "delete all faces of the old and unite to the new" is not the solution....

In General, all boolean operations in Modeling (UNITE, SUBTRACT etc.) are always performed in the coarser resolution of the two bodies involved in

the boolean Operation. The resolution is an Attribute of the *Body* (=topology) - and not an Attribute of geometry - therefore the resolution

remains even if you remove all the geometry.

By using the Reintegrate fucntion you will only be able to create a new part with the desired resolution and desired SYSID - but you would lose all other

instance and Contents Attributes. In other words, the product suggestion makes sense and I voted *pro*.