Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An Option in Config.pro to specify a separate file for Mapkeys

An Option in Config.pro to specify a separate file for Mapkeys

A highly customized Config.pro file can be confusing to manage and can become cluttered with duplicate entries - for both mapkeys and options.   An option to specify a separate mapkey file would make managing these files much easier.

This is even more important since the ability to have multiple sessions has been added.  This would enable using different config.pro files for different sessions and easily use the same mapkeys.

Regardless of the many possible post-installation work-arounds, this out-of-box solution would save a lot of (especially first time) users a lot of headaches.

7 Comments
Aquamarine

Whe use seperate files and concatenate them in login.bat

ECHO *** concatenating Config.pro + Mapkeys

COPY %CAOCONFIG%\config.pro "%COMMONFILES_INSTALL%\text\config.pro" /y >NUL
TYPE %CAOCONFIG%\mapkey.pro>>"%COMMONFILES_INSTALL%"\text\config.pro

Amethyst

If you have access to one of the Toolkit API's, you can also do this through those.

For example, using the original Pro/TOOLKIT API, you could use the following to load as many as you want into the session, upon user_initialize()

ProInputFileRead(NULL,desired_path_w,PRO_CONFIG_FILE, NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL);

This would be great for deploying enterprise standard mapkeys.  It would be better if there were controls to keep users from saving the mapkeys from a seperate file into their own config.pro with the save all command.  I would think some thing like a config.sup for mapkeys.  We see users with very large (e.g., long) config.pro files from copying all mapkeys in session.  This leads to slow start times and out of date mapkeys/mapkey conflicts.

Tanzanite

We do this a different way.  But I like you version too.

copy /B /Y <loc>\config_base.pro+<loc>\config_1.pro+<loc>\config_2.pro <install dir>\text\config.pro

Aquamarine

Kelly Lozier‌, and a headache for actually helping users to sort through that cluttered config.pro.  TO be fair to the user, when saving the config.pro it is very intuitive to choose the wrong option of save all mapkeys in session.  PTC should really make the default for this action to append the config.pro with an appropriate button that makes it clear what the user is doing.

Although I agree with your idea, to me the bigger issues is this non intuitive saving.

Amethyst

another way:

type *.pro > "%CREODIRDATECODE%\Common Files\text\config.pro"

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged