cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any reason a part disappears every time you try to manipulate it on a coordinate system?

Any reason a part disappears every time you try to manipulate it on a coordinate system?

One of 1000000000000 frustrating things I keep running into, as a new PRO-e user, coming from Autodesk Alias, that makes positively no sense and should be in "least you could do" category when it comes to world-class CAD software costing thousands of dollars.

I'm just trying to position an imported part on a corrdinate system.  Not assemblying, just incorporating an imported part into my current one.  For one, a coordinate system  does not provide easy move/rotate controls that should be obvious;  you have do dial the numbers in while in edit definition mode.  And on top of that, while I'm manipulating the coordinate system, the part that was placed on it disappears.  I found no way for it to be shown during manipulation.

Please fix that, thank you.

5 Comments
Sapphire I

You may want to vote on your own idea.....

..... and on this one:

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/2713#

Thanks, Dale

Aquamarine

George,

Pro-E/Wildfire/Parametric have always used parent/child parametric relationships...ie, when you edit definition of an a object in the model tree, all children below it are basically suppressed. (And hidden on the graphics area).  If you edit the values of the coordinate system the part lower in the tree should still be visable. 

I Would also advise that the imported part include the coordinate system in the correct location so it makes it easier to locate.   The transform function is very useful.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your issue. 

Ah - thanks Bill for the info - it does partially solve my problem, as in when I edit (instead of edit definition) the coordinate system which has the part on it, I can see the part when I move it in various directions, BUT - only moving in straight lines is available during edit.  If you wanted to rotate your object  you have to get in to "edit definition", which then makes that object instantly disappear.

Now - that transform function you mentioned sounds like exactly what I'm looking for - cannot find it - where is it located?

Thanks Bill again,
GI

Aquamarine

I'll give you my example of how I use coordinate systems as we use them quite extensively.

The alternator positioned on an engine is a good example.  The engine assembly is one supplier assembly while the alternator is another supplier part.  All components mounted to the engine include a coordinate system at a predefined known location.  The first step is to assemble the alternator using mate/align/insert constraints.  After assembled, use transform in the measure Menu to find distance from default coordinate system in alternator to engine location.  (Ideally work upfront with suppliers to define the home base locations so they can add them in). In the same measurement window use save to save the matrix information of the transform.  Now open the alternator part or assembly in new window and create a new coordinate system offset from file.  (Select the file saved in previous step).  I recommend labeling the coordinate system in the model tree appropriately.  

Now you can create a new assembly called engine accessories with the default coordinate system at the engine position and add the alternator along with other components. 

Editing a transformed coordinate system will include the three rotations along with translations if original transform included them.   I know this takes some upfront organization but well worth it in the long run if the "home base" locations are defined correctly.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived