cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly constraints should not change to coincident when set to distance.

Assembly constraints should not change to coincident when set to distance.

When assembling parts in a model I prefer they default to coincident, so I have set the config option for this.  However, if I am reconstraining a part due to a lost reference or want to use a different reference a distance constraint will change to coincident constraint loosing the value that it needs to be set to.

A set distance constraint should not change to coincident when a new reference is selected.

12 Comments
Amethyst

Did you play with the setting of config.pro option constraint_reference_redefine ?  Maybe setting it to "reset_constraint_type" would work?

Quick test (Creo 2 M210) reveals that the system gets a bit confused when there are missing references involved - but deleting the out-of-date coincident constraint and then starting a new distance constraint seems to keep the part in place.

Now, I wish this worked redefining datum feature references - does anyone else think it would be better if the system would remember the position of the datum you redefine it's references?  Currently, it seems to remember the last "offset" value user has entered.

Amethyst

Did not change the result.  The constraint still changes to coincident on either setting.

d1.JPGd2.JPG

Amethyst

Redefining of datums should allow you to replace the reference, similar to sketcher, rather than require you to delete it and then select as new one.

Amethyst

Well, I get different result:

component_placement_redefine_quirk.png

still not optimal...

Topaz II

That's what the "Edit References" command is for.

Topaz II

You might look to see if "auto_constr_always_use_offset" is set to "never".  I believe that forces Creo to default to coincident.

Amethyst

"Edit references" does the very same thing for me - it maintains 80mm distance between the new set of references...

Amethyst

That works fine when only one reference is missing.  With more than one missing, it is a guess as to what to select.

Amethyst

I do have it set to "never" as I prefer to have parts move to the references rather than stay a long distance from desired location.  Also most constraints I prefer to have at coincident.

The description for "auto_constr_always_use_offset" is "Control whether auto constraint should create offsets."  When redefining constraints it is not in auto constraint, it is already set to distance with a value specified.

I found a way to do this.

• Disable the constraint

redefine-disable.png

• Select the new reference (constraint changes to coincident)

redefine-new-ref.png

• Change constraint to Distance (Offset updates itself to the correct value)

redefine-distance.png

• Enable the Constraint et voilá

redefine-enable.png

I tried the option constraint_reference_redefine and it didn't seem to matter

Best regards

Daniel García

auto_constr_always_use_offset never

I believe PTC needs to fix this option due to the following reasons:

1. Users at our company usually assembles components using the Coincident constraint.  They design bottoms-up. - Plate sits on plate and build your way up (as if you were physically assembling the components).  Even in top-down assembling, they would make Coincident surface to plane.  Coincident constraint should be the default constraint as opposed to Distance constraint.

2. If the user elects to use the Distance constraint (commonly used for Kit Assemblies) and then he/she edits definition on the Kit component, in what universe should the software change the design to be Coincident?

BTW...although the proposed work-around works, this is a weird solution for us to try to push to our 300+ users.  I don't think they would adopt it.  We were going to roll this option out until we figured out that it was changing the design upon edit definition on existing components using Distance.  We just elected NOT to roll this option out, which is a shame because for new components, our testers loved it.  For existing components, it was a SHOW-STOPPER.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged