Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-Save in Background

Auto-Save in Background

Auto-Save is a very good idea. However, it is not very useful if you have a lot of parts loaded because it can tie up your computer for several minutes. I would like to propose that Auto-Save work in the background to save all of the parts in the state that they were in when the Auto-Save starts. So, if I have an assembly of parts and Auto-Save is triggered to start (either based on the number of steps or number of minutes), that Creo Elements/Direct Modeling create a snapshot in memory of that assembly and save it. While that save is happening, I can continue to work on any of the parts in the assembly.

6 Comments
Participant

Also, to the extent there is still a delay - some notification that autosave is in progress would be great.

Visitor

Long long long overdue. It was rumoured it would be in Creo3. Its been in SolidWorks for ages, and in fact in most CAD packaged from £50 up, but spend £4000 plus and no such functionality.

Completely understand that big assemblies might tie it up for a few minutes, but nowhere near as long as figuruing out what has or hasn't changed since my last save when Creo crashes as it does all to often. Why not at least give me the option. 

Participant

Perhaps another option would be to have a stripped down local version of Model Manager running on the machine, that regularly grabbed snapshots of parts. It seems this would allow many more versions to be saved with significantly less time per save.

A similar option might be to save .sd files to autosave directory(ies). The first save in a session would be as long as a current save takes (maybe faster since there's no .zip process). Subsequent save would be significantly faster as they would only save what's changed since baseline.

If you're not using Model Manager, AI QuickSave from AI-Maxtools offers some of this sort of functionality.

Granite

Stephen, this community is about Creo Elements/Direct - not CREO

Granite

Greg,

"Model Manager Snapshot" is Meta-Data only - so it is not suitable for saving your 3D model.

Model Manager cannot be any faster/smarter then Modeling.

The work for saving the 3D model is all done inside CED Modeling

The same applies to 2D drawings - work is done in CED Drafting or CED Annotation.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged