cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically include in the search path all directories present in the Working directory

Automatically include in the search path all directories present in the Working directory

Instead of having to write all the new search paths in the search.pro file whenever we start a new project that includes parts and assemblies from other directories, the system should automatically (behavior would be controlled by a config.pro option) consider all the directories and subdirectories under the Working directory as valid directories to search first for objects.

Working_directory

|

|-----------> 2D_Drawings

|-----------> Customer_files

|-----------> Injec_system

|-----------> Others...

This way we could always add more directories to the main project directory (working directory) and keep a better organized project approach.

15 Comments
AnaFelizardo
1-Newbie

Hello Martin Hanak,

May I ask why are you opposed to this idea?

JonathanHodgson
11-Garnet

I'm not going to vote down as I can see that this would be useful, but it should be selectable via an option and not enforced.

Our project directory structure can contain dozens of 'data in' directories with imported customer data, sometimes duplicated in several versions.  We would certainly not want these to be included on the search path.

Bari
12-Amethyst

Hello Jonathan,

I tottally agree on that. I'll modify the text of the idea to include that suggestion.

Thanks for the input.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby I

I voted down, because this kind of automatic functionality is not good.

LukaszMazur
16-Pearl

So maybe it could be modified, like

\working_directory

will add only content of said directory, but

\working_directory\* (with asterisk at the end, for example)

would add contents of directory and subdirectories. That way it could be a bit more maintainable.

Bari
12-Amethyst

Hello Lukasz,

"So maybe it could be modified, like \working_directory will add only content of said directory, but \working_directory\* (with asterisk at the end, for example) would add contents of directory and subdirectories. That way it could be a bit more maintainable."

This is a very good suggestion for the behavior of this option. Thanks for the input.

JonathanHodgson
11-Garnet

Yes, I like that.  I'd be happy to see it implemented that way.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby I

Just couple of notes...

1.] User who uses Windchill PDMLink does not need the requested functionality. This means that big customers will not vote for it. I guess there is no chance for implementation.

2.] User can create simple utility to create search.pro file containing all requested paths. The following commands launched from Command Prompt window will create requested list of directories:

dir /b /l /ad

dir /b /l /ad /s

Martin Hanak

Bari
12-Amethyst

Hello Martin, thanks for your input.

This Idea was simply to avoid all the manual work that has to be done each time you have a new project. You must agree that working with this text files is a little bit "old School". Even Inventor has a dedicated interface to manage all this information (that it probably registers in some text file in the end ).

BrianMartin
11-Garnet

Personal opinion... Inventor spends time mucking about with interfaces for managing directories because they can't match Creo in modeling, assemblies, creating drawings, or stability. They have to do SOMETHING better, right?

I'm going to actually vote this down. At first I voted on each idea on it's merits assuming that at some later time we'd prioritize. However, I'm beginning to feel that if we're vying for a limited amount of development time, I want to see that time go towards issues that truly impact productivity. A simple batch or javascript application could solve this issue far faster and would conserve valuable development resources at PTC.

I like the idea of adding a "*" to the end of a search path if you want it to be recursive... but beyond that, I wouldn't support spending time on this. And I know that's going to be taken badly by some people but we have to start getting selective I think. Just my humble opinion, thank you!

Bari
12-Amethyst

Hello Brian,

Thanks for your point of view on this. I totally agree with you on that we must be selective and fortunatly there's so much where we can improve on Creo's productivity. This is just one more for the list. I only hope that PTC integrates more and more user's ideas because there many valuable ones here.

Thanks.

ptc-4702762
1-Newbie

When i came on board here there was a raft of sub directories.... everytime i loaded a model... i had to hunt for the missing parts and with a mould base your talking a lot of parts... however if you modify the "search.pro" file and add in each and every sub-directory heck it finds the parts... well, with literally hundreds of sub-directories of files and me being lazy what i did was go back to my DOS days... (i know, i am dating myself, but no one else will)... here is what ya do youngins....

START/Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt

(my directory is on the J: drive so i will use that as the example)

c:\ j: (this will take me to the J: drive)

j:\ cd \CAD_FILES (this will take me to where the cad files are stored on my hard drive, yours is different im guessing)

j:\CAD_FILES\  dir /s /b /ad >mysubdirectories.txt (this will make a list of all subdirectories without files and make a new file called "mysubdirectories.txt" place the list in there)

.... time passes... mine is on a server, and there are lots so it takes a few minutes....

j:\CAD_FILES\ type mysubdirectories.txt (prepare to have your mind blown as you see the list of sub directories fly past....

now...

START/Programs/Accessories/Notepad

using notepad, navigate to the mysubdirectories.txt file and open it

choose from the top ... edit, select all, edit, copy...

open a file explorer session....

search for the "search.pro" file.....

right click and open it with notepad

go to the last line in the file ...

from the top line pick edit, paste.....

and the directory file will paste below.... save and  your done....

now you just have to add new ones to the file or if your lazy like me... add the commands to the autoexec.bat file and direct the output directly to the "search.pro" file so everytime you boot a fresh list is produced...... but hey.... this is 20yr old stuff your never going to need to know DOS again..... BvD

ptc-4702762
1-Newbie

oh if you want to make it a super quick one line sort of thing...

open notepad and make a file called proesubfixer.bat

put these lines in it

del j:\ptc_standards\proe_stds\Configs\search.pro

dir j: /s /b /ad >j:\ptc_standards\proe_stds\Configs\search.pro

this is the path to my directory... so now i just open a command prompt

and type proesubfixer and hit the enter key

when my c:> comes back all the directories are updated.

ptc-4702762
1-Newbie

oh and dont forget to change the line in config.pro to look for the search.pro file.

PTCModerator
Emeritus
Status changed to: Acknowledged