Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM Balloons for Drawing Dimensions

BOM Balloons for Drawing Dimensions

Most QC starts by manually numbering drawing dimensions (with pen and paper). Our company wants to directly add balloons to dimensions in Creo so that vendors don't have different numbers than internal QC, and we don't have to track multiple documents. Creo should automatically create and place balloons for dimensions just like it does for assembly parts.

5 Comments
Sapphire I

Not all dimensions on a drawing are used in an inspection report. The dimension numbering needs to allow numbers to be deleted and renumbered. The numbering should also be locked like a BOM item list can be to accommodate revisions. Once locked, all new numbers go to the end of the list and renumbering does not affect the locked portion.

Pearl

If the need to do this electronically is more immediate than throwing a penny in this wishing well, there is some third party software available that would do this now.  My company uses one of them to do this very thing and we went from paper to electronic just as mentioned.

Moving this functionality into Creo makes sense, but only if it can be exported out one way or another into a CSV or spreadsheet.  Number, dimension, and tolerance.

GTOLS and notes are another thing that get inspected and should be included as well.

Good points. Creo already has a toggle for Inspection Dimensions, so perhaps it could be tied to that, but sometimes we will have dimensions that should be inspected for First Article but not Routine Inspection, so it would be good to be able to select. I would also want to be able to attach them to GTOLs.

Additionally, it would be good if you could manually place some of them in case you have notes or parameters that also need to be checked.

And ideally, the dimension leader would "know" that the balloon is there, so that it would not go through the balloon.

You beat me too it with the Notes and GTOLs!

Yeah, that would be amazing if it could create the inspection sheet for you... It would contain all the necessary information, so it should be possible.

Any chance you could share which software you are using?

Pearl

We are using a software called InspectionXpert  http://inspectionxpert.com/

The version we are using uses a PDF of the drawing to create the ballooned items and adds them into a table.  The outputs of the program are a ballooned PDF and the spreadsheet.  We chose to use the PDF based version because then we can have the QA department do most of the work and we can also work with vendor or customer PDF drawings too.

They do make a version that works directly with Creo and other CAD packages and that has it's advantages too.  Overall we have been very satisfied with the software and have been using it for 4+ years.

-marc

20151201-082705.png20151201-083014.png