Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bounding Box as a Feature

Please make a feature in Creo Parametric representing the smallest area or volume in which a design can fit, bounding box.

Please spend a few minutes looking at this video from SolidWorks, it is very simple and easy to understand.

Bunding Box

Chees Erik Sallingboe

12 Comments
Amethyst

Good idea - can be used for 3D pronting Smiley Happy

I believe the machining package can do something like this by automatic stock size.

Also close to this is in Tools - Investigate - Model Size.

I suggest that the Model Size also print out more of the box properties not just the diagonal size like it now does, especially since it renders the box and knows the size already.  If this function was moved to be an Analysis item then maybe we get the option to create it as feature or saved like other analysis items.

Amethyst

This feature exist in Creo View, but it doesnt always show the "minimal" bounding box. If a feature is developped in Creo Parametric, it need to show the 3 lengths (X,Y,Z) of the minimal bounding box, this box is usefull (for example: to calculate a storage volume necessary for an assembly)

Hi Fnefil

Yes, Creo View can do some part of the job, but we like to have it X,Y and Z as attributes in Creo as well as in Windchill.

I think, this Request from many Companys, and it must be quite simple for PTC to make a feature like this in Creo

ES

BTW, please let the idea be spread out in your organisation

Amethyst

Hello esallingboe-2,

ill transfert the idea to other colleagues to get their support on this topic

Regards

If this was a simple as creating Length, Width and Height parameters for use in drawings and BOM that would be spectacular!

Visitor

I just did this in toolkit.  It would be great if PTC implemented a direction function.

What I had to do.

if (model has copy geoms) -> create a shrinkwrap

then compute the ProSolidOutlineCompute for all rotations about x, y, and z sweeping from 0 to 90 degrees.

I do a two stage pass and get the bounding box to within 1 degree.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Bounding box as model parameters (diagonal, x, y, z) would be nice as well. Today they are available via Jlink.

Visitor
Jlink has two bounding box functions: pfcSolid.Solid.GetGeomOutline and pfcSolid.Solid.EvalOutline. You probably want EvalOutline. EvalOutline includes copy geometry, and you supply the orientation. It does not find the minimum bounding box.
Alexandrite

If this gets implemented there should be a geometry only option.