Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk Item vs Regular Parts and integration with PDMLink

Bulk Item vs Regular Parts and integration with PDMLink

We need the same functionality for std Creo CAD objects(asm&prt) that a Bulk Item has when it comes to units and qty and link to part structure in PDMLink.

Std Creo CAD objects has only each capabilities on the link from ProE to WT-parts structure in PDMLink.

Bulk Items has the capability to express other units than each like m, kg with link from CAD to WT-parts structure but no geometry.

I would for example like to assemble one Creo CAD part (prt) with 60cm Fuel Hose and get 60cm Fuel hose and not 1 each as it will be today with the geometrical representation in Creo View.

BR Magnus

3 Comments

I've often seen this debated outside of the context of EPMDocument (CAD Document) data class and WT Parts in PDMLink.  In any PLM focused environment the idea of a cut length or measured amount of something and how that is represented seems to vary from one company to the next.

I've seen two different methods:

1. A BOM entry has One part number that is a quantity of another bulk material part number.
  2. A BOM entry has a quantity of a bulk part number.

Method 1, part number is qty of another part number, may be used in cases where those items will be binned for some manufacturing purpose, say a number of hoses on an engine applied at the same time and each hose is the same bulk material, but different lengths are used.  It may be easiest to track these if they each had their own part number.

Method 2, a quantity of a part number is consumed, may be best used in cases where small runs are made in a general purpose shop.  Consider a research lab that uses hoses in test stations, the hose would be bought by the reel and cut lengths used as required or stipulated on an assembly drawing bill of materials.

Creo provides bulk parts that have no geometry and have a built in flexibility capability. That will do great for things you would not model, like perhaps a liquid substance like thread locking agent or grease or paint.

Creo provides an ability to have 'flexible parts' where any number of attributes can be set for variability upon assembly into a using assembly.  This could allow you to make the protrusion length of a house to varied, or perhaps vary a parameter that represents the length considering you may model the hose in any number of curved routings where a set protrusion will not do the job.

It is really confusing for new staff if both of the above systems are in place at the same company.

It is this last case that I think MAGNUS PERSSON‌ would like to address.

Alexandrite
Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged