cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of load point for Creo 2.0 to "Common Files" from "SHIPCODE" folder.

Change of load point for Creo 2.0 to "Common Files" from "SHIPCODE" folder.

When Creo 2.0 is installed it loads the folders and instalables at "C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Common Files\<SHIPCODE>". It is very painful when  a new update or maintaince datecode is realeased and needs to be updated it will create a new folder under "Common Files" and this will not remove the old SHIPCODE folder. This will occupy the disk space and new date code needs to reconfuigured with all custom and config files.

I request to make the load point for any datecode which will be released from now to "C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Common Files\".

5 Comments
Moonstone

An additional justification for removing the SHIPCODE folder is that the actual running programs such as xtop.exe are within this directory. We are using a netbased installation, and every time we update a version people have to get their local firewalls updated for the new folder location. If the software gets blocked by the local firewall it will be slower to respond and have some difficulty communicating with Windchill.

We use a homegrown program to automatically update our installations by unzipping files. When we update, it just overlays the new files over the old files. If we update and have to use this SHIPCODE folder, we'll have to rewrite our installation software to remove the old folder.

Emerald IV

Just brief note ...

Update installation has never been reliable ! The only reliable installation is -> new clean installation.

Martin Hanak

Moonstone

Creo 3.0 has changed the functionality though I'm not sure it's necessarily for the better in all cases.

It's now <Install Path>\Creo 3.0\[SHIPCODE]\Common Files

The biggest issue I can see with this is when you get Parametric, Illustrate, View, Schematics... all installed at the same location but are all different builds so you have a bunch of build folders and if you're not sure what you're on you have to hunt through them to find out where the information is. It can also get trickier if you're loading config.pro/config.sup and other files over the installation.

There is a case in the PTC knowledgebase CS198777 that addresses spaces and possibly removing the SHIPCODE all together (though it doesn't show examples of removing the shipcode) with silent installation. I haven't tried it yet, but it's my next adventure.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged