Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of parameter type or renaming a parameter name

Change of parameter type or renaming a parameter name

I would like to propose the possibility to change for any existing parameter the type (e.g. for changing a real number into a string) without deleting the parameter and generating a new one.

Reason:

Especially in family table instances it is a very annoying thing if you want to change the type of one parameter which is used already in the family table.

Alternative:

If this is not possible or too difficult, then please allow to rename a parameter.

Current course of action with the current possibilities:

1. generate a new temporary parameter with correct type but new name,
  2. insert the new parameter in the family table
    and
  3. copy the complete column of the original parameter into the column of the new parameter.
  4. After deleting the old parameter,
  5. make another new parameter with correct type AND name
  6. insert the new parameter in the family table
    and
  7. copy the complete column of the previous new ans temporary parameter into the column of the new parameter with the correct name.

Course of action with the idea implemented:

1. change the type of the parameter

Course of action with the renaming alternative:

1. generate a new parameter with correct type but new name,
  2. insert the new parameter in the family table
    and
  3. copy the complete column of the original parameter into the column of the new parameter.
  4. After deleting the old parameter,
  5. rename the new parameter to the original name

By counting the number of needed steps I think it is rather clear how much work will be saved!

3 Comments
Participant

It makes no sense to not allow a parameter to be edited after it has been created.  There are options in the parameter properties to lock them so why are they locked automatically.  This is a pain and it would be much easier if all options associated with a parameter could be edited.

Currently i am deleting a parameter only to simplify its name and I have to recreate the parameter and the information in the family table.  Nonsense!

Sapphire II

Renaming was shown as "FUTURE CONSIDERATION" on this idea Enable Renaming of Parameters but that was that was 3 years ago according to the comment!!

Community Manager
Status changed to: Acknowledged