cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Config option to add entire family table to workspace when opening a model from File Open dialog

Config option to add entire family table to workspace when opening a model from File Open dialog

When connected to a Windchill server, it is possible to use the File Open dialog to simply enter a filename and let Windchill locate and open the file, automatically adding it to the workspace in the process. This functionality can be useful for automation within Creo. But, when a generic is requested, only the generic is added to the workspace. And when an instance is requested only the generic and that instance are added.

It would be useful many times to have the entire table added by default.

It is currently only possible to add the rest of the table by using Windchill functions which can't be accessed from the Creo native interface or Creo automation.

So I would propose the addition of a checkbox in the File Open dialog and/or a corresponding configuration setting to allow the addition of all generics/instances when opening a family tabled object from the File Open dialog box.

2 Comments
BenLoosli
22-Sapphire III

What purpose does it do to add the whole family table to your workspace?

You can do a replace without the new instance being in the workspace, the system will bring it in.

Some of my family tables exceed 1000 instances. I do not want to load all of those instances into my workspace to use 1 or 2 in an assembly.

If I am editing the family table, I always make sure I do something in the generic that forces the whole family table to update before I check the modified files back in to Windchill. This keeps all instances as the same iteration, as we do not release family tables. They are in a library, so only a limited number of people can even open the files and edit them. They get added to a normal user's workspace as read-only files.

jfrankovich
7-Bedrock
Hey Ben,

I agree with you that in those use cases there is no need to add the full table to the local workspace. My real need is around automation and extraction of data/exporting models and this would actually save some time. We likewise have some tables that may have 1000's of instances. I have found myself in situations where I am running a Creo based automation on a long list of "random" items, all of which need to be added to the local workspace before processing. The ability to simply tell Creo to go Open a given file, let's say an instance, without it being in the workspace is great, but if my list includes 100's of other instances from the same table, Creo (and the automation) will look for and add those instances to the workspace one by one as requested. If I could instead add the entire table to the workspace at once, it may take longer initially but would save the repeated calls to Windchill.

I hope that makes it sound a little more sensible.

John