Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy and paste all content from Word

Copy and paste all content from Word

When I copy simple text from Word I get strange results.  If I use an apostrophe in a Word document and I paste it into a Wildfire 5.0 not it look like the image bellow.  Start using the same standard text codes that every other Windows computer program uses, and stop using Unix crap.

This                                                   Should be this

Oops, my image didn't upload.  Here is another image a created showing what I typed in Word, and what is looks like after pasting it into Wildfire 5.0.

Remember, this is 2012.  We should be able to figure out how to copy and paste so what you see is what you get.

It did it again!  Well copy and a ' " from Word into Wildfire and probably Creo.  All you'll get is a box.

13 Comments
MartinHanak
23-Emerald V

I can't see the picture. Can you upload it once again (maybe in different format) ?

Martin Hanak

ptc-893484
1-Newbie

Ok, as you can see I tried to re-upload an image file.  It didn't work, but thanks for telling me.

MartinHanak
23-Emerald V

my_image_PNG.png

I inserted my_image_PNG.png (to test insert  command).

Note: You didn't describe, what are you doing exactly. For example ... are you working in Drawing mode and copying text from Word into drawing note ? Or are you doing something else ?

Martin Hanak

ptc-893484
1-Newbie

Yeah, I tried to upload a PNG file the first time, and a JPEG file the second time.  I think it might have something to do with our computer security where I work.

I am talking about working in drawing mode.  Since the drawing text editor in Wildfire 5.0 is a little too basic I commonly write my notes in Word, and copy and past them to Wildfire 5.0.  This allows me to use the power of Word on text, but in haste I've also made stupid mistakes where those square shapes remain in the notes.

I'm bringing this issue up simply because I've never seen another Windows program have this problem.  I know that there are strange disconnects like this between Unix and Windows, and considering how ProE started out in Unix I imagine that's what's going on.  I'm hoping to motivate PTC to fix there code.

MartinHanak
23-Emerald V

Tim,

I am almost sure that PTC's answer to your problem is ... use Insert > Object command to put the content of Word document into a drawing.

Martin Hanak

ptc-893484
1-Newbie

This should be a simple task that takes almost no effort on the part of the user.  I select items in Word and hit ctrl c to copy them.  I then select another app like Excel and hit ctrl v to paste them.  That's all it takes, no menus, no command tools, no thinking, just do it.  It's a simple Windows functions that have been around almost since the begging.

JonathanHodgson
11-Garnet

I suspect the problem is that Pro/E doesn't use standard ASCII (or extended-ASCII) character references.  For example, Windows Arial has a diameter symbol at 00D8h or Alt+0216 - but this is not the character used by Pro/E when you Insert Symbol to a text note, and if you enter Alt+0216 into a text note you get a different character (much thinner, for the default font we use).  Similarly, there's a standard ± symbol but again Pro/E doesn't use it.

If nothing else, it should be possible to have Pro/E convert any recognised symbols pasted into a text box into its own equivalents - Ø to [01h] n[02h], and ± to [01h]#[02h] (which is what you get if you paste Pro/E symbols out).

The challenge will be how to handle concentric, centreline, run-out and all the other symbols that don't exist in ASCII...

ptc-893484
1-Newbie

I realize that there are chanlenges in dealing with some of the special characters.  Some how they made it so I could copy "A Word" from Word, and it would paste into the note text box.  All I ask is that they do that same thing for every ASCII charater.  If I can copy "A" whay can't I copy" ' "?

dhermosillo
13-Aquamarine

I just came across this as well which indicates that you have to have the image open in another viewer, Acrobat, Paint, etc., simultaneously in order for the image to show up correctly in the drawing:

http://communities.ptc.com/message/166740#166740

dhermosillo
13-Aquamarine

Users should be able to paste anything into a drawing, text, bitmap, jpeg, whatever.

Honestly PTC, you can implement the awful MS ribbon, but not basic cut/paste technology?!

ptc-893484
1-Newbie

I think PTC is still stuck in the UNIX era.  I don't think they've truly adopted Windows.

To bad for them!

MarkLocher
1-Newbie

I am attempting the same as everyone else.  I want to insert a picture into a drawing, and then circle some features in that picture or draw some arrows on the picture to highlight them.  Problem I find is that the graphics I create in sketch ALWAYS ends up "behind" the picture.  There is no "Bring to Front" like a true Windows system has.

Yes - it will print correctly, but that means I am not truly working is WYSIWYG.

I tried to create a bold arrow by sketching the lines of the arrow, and then "FILL" the boundary.   I had to laugh at the results... The line and fill show behind the pictures as before, but when I print it, the lines are on top of the pictures yet the fill is still behind and does not appear on the paper.

I've gone so far as to create the images that I want in CREO, in PowerPoint using all the wonderful windows features.  Then I print to PDF.

Then back to Drawing, Layout, Object, Create From File, Browse.....  But this method looses all of the fine clarity of the photo... .

I have dealt with this issue for 10 years.  What a pain.  I would LOVE to be able to use the SNIPPING tool to grab an image, and then paste it onto my drawing.  It would make my life soooo much nicer.

PTCModerator
Emeritus
Status changed to: Acknowledged