Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Curves from Extrudes/Sweeps

Create Curves from Extrudes/Sweeps

What if we had the ability to create curves or sketched lines using extrudes as the basis, or convert a solid to just edges.

So if you make a standard cube you wouldn't have a solid, or surfaces, but curves for all the edges.

The biggest example I have is we make a lot of frames in AFX. To get all the sketches to build the outside of the frame you often have to make multiple planes, multiple sketches just for a simple box. Though if you could make it in extrudes to define the space claim first it would be easier to create.

2015-07-06_9-33-41.png

A box is the simplest example, but any extruded shape could be done this way. In theory even spheres could be cut into quads and given sketch lines.

If sweeps are also able to do this, here's an example of a model I created as a mock up for a presentation that took way too long to create each edge and each sketch. It was done with 3 sketches and many curves based on points. It could have probably been done with 2 sweeps, not counting the star pattern in the middle.

2015-07-06_9-58-40.png

This is partially related to:

3D Sketch in part mode

If I'm completely missing something feel free to comment. I imagine there are other ways to get to this, just a concept I thought might be an interesting capability.

3 Comments
SamuelBrantner
15-Moonstone

Hi Steven Lapha‌,

why don't you assemble the beams directly on the solid edges of the extrude feature? With AFX this is possible.

Greetings Sam

slapha
15-Moonstone

Hmm, I've never tried that.

Seems to work pretty well. Not sure why I didn't think about that earlier.

olivierlp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Hello,

We are archiving your idea as part of a general review. This action is based on the age of your idea and the total number of votes received, as per this announcement.

You can always post a new idea with all the details required in the form.

Thank you for your participation.