Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creo files should be identified by i.d.

Creo files should be identified by i.d.

Features have feature numbers and names, which can be changed, but they are also assigned an i.d. number which cannot be changed.

Parts, assemblies drawing etc, should also have i.d. numbers so the files can be recognized by these numbers instead of the name. I don't know how many times I have been certain that I had everything in session, then renamed a component and saved, only to find out later that I forgot to save an assembly or a drawing that the part is in. It shouldn't matter what the part is called, it should be recognized by its i.d. 

Now I can imagine how this might get complicated if you wanted to copy a file and rename it (so you could then alter the copy - to get say 2 screws of different lengths), so you would now have two different parts with the same i.d. There must be some way to deal with this though.

6 Comments

What might be more helpful is for the software to prompt to find the missing file or browse to replace with something else.

Participant

1. You can replace a component with the Replace command.

2. If a component is missing and you open an assembly the system will prompt you to find the component.

What I am talking about is something different. I want the components to be recognized by something other than the assigned name, because that is easy to change. I assume the reluctance to put this under consideration is because Windchill prevents this kind of thing? Why do a simple fix when we can spend more $$$ on a complicated data management system?

I'm afraid I don't see how this will work, since it sounds like you're talking about working outside of Windchill.

1. Where will the ID be stored - inside each .prt file?  Will Pro/E have to scan every file on your system until it finds the correct ID?
  2. How will Pro/E ensure that each ID is unique - at least in a way that's different to the way it currently ensures that each filename is unique?

Ultimately, I think you'd end up making the filename the unique ID and removing the user's ability to change it, then putting the part name / number inside the file as parameters.  You then have to do all file management from inside the software (possibly using a master database for speed) since when viewed from Windows it would just be a huge list of long, meaningless codes... and that's starting to sound a lot like a PDM vault.  Or CAD software of 20+ years ago.

I'm not necessarily against the principle - I just don't see how it can be done in a way that's better than what we have.  To solve the problem you mention (which I agree with), there are much simpler methods.

Participant

I'm afraid I don't see how this will work, since it sounds like you're talking about working outside of Windchill.

I guess that's for the programmers to work out.

Where will the ID be stored - inside each .prt file?

Yes, I suppose so.

Will Pro/E have to scan every file on your system until it finds the correct ID?

Doesn't it do that when it looks for the filename? I don't understand the difference.

1. How will Pro/E ensure that each ID is unique - at least in a way that's different to the way it currently ensures that each filename is unique?

I don't know. It's not my problem. IANAP (I am not a programmer.)

I don't really care about the details. I don't care whether it's done via the i.d. or not: what I want is for an assembly to recognize a part file (or sub-assembly) as the same file even if I change its name. It doesn't sound like an unreasonable or difficult request. All the limitations you describe are artifical constructs created by the people who wrote the progrm in the first place. They can just write it differently.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived