Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creo prompt to save on exit - Outdated and not user friendly

Creo prompt to save on exit - Outdated and not user friendly

The  prompt to save on exit message is in my opinion extremely outdated and not user friendly at all. I would recommend to improve the save on exit function. CAD-Data and time is very valuable, but from time to time it happens that Creo files get lost because they have not been saved before exiting Creo (due to program errors during the save process or due to negligence). 

28180439_syf9.png

I suggest the following improvments:

- Save before exit is a generic prompt that happens whenever you close Creo. The generic prompt is instinctively ignored by every engineer or already disabled in the config and therefore extremely useless. This must change! The prompt should only open when something was not saved. 

- If something is not saved the promt window should show which parts have not been saved and should ask what to do with these parts (save/save all, ignore, ignore all, ...)

I imagine a solution similar to this:

exit_prompt_how_it_should_be.png

4 Comments
Sapphire I

Creo is a tool to do your work, not your babysitter.

While the software does know which files have been modified, I would hate to have to traverse a pull-down menu option of save or discard for every part. Some of our assemblies run into the hundreds of files open in session.

I do like the part of your suggestion that the save file prompt should only appear IF you have unsaved modified files. However, EVERY file is modified when being opened in a new release and in most cases the engineers do NOT have permissions that allow them to save these parts. Only a part that has been revised and moved from the Released state may be saved.

Visitor

My suggestion for the pull-down menu would affect only the modified and unsaved parts. You do not "accidentally" modifiy hundreds of parts. And if you have already saved some modified parts before, they would not show up in the pull-down menu on exit.

What you are writing does not make any sense. If you change the life cycle from "series/released" to "in work" you do this with the intent of changing and modifying the parts. You do not change the state if you don't want to touch them. If you are using a PDM system like Windchill all parts that are not "in work" (life cycle) are also locked in the Creo Workspace. That's at least how it should be and how it is also set up in our company. These locked/read -only parts cannot be saved or modified unless they get unlocked in the workspace. They would not show up in the pull-down menu on exit.

BTW. ease of use has nothing to do with babysitting. A Lada Niva is also a car, why do you need air conditioning, electric windows and power stearing in a car?

Sapphire I

Windchill parts that have not been changed to in-work, and loaded as read-only, are still modified when loaded in a new version of Creo. Creo would have to know that these 'changes' are to be thrown away before it generates the save reminder.

Hi,

Good idea. This is actually available in Solidworks, Inventor, etc.

Also one more thing should be added, that is while closing a file (part/assembly/drawing) it should prompt for save.

Jignesh.